1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt got wet and need help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mc1, Dec 29, 2009.

1. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

a few weeks back my salt got wet from my tarp blowing out it is not powdery anymore and spreads terrible if i move it inside will it dry out i know iam pretty much snafu here and thank god its not a huge pile but any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks matt

2. ToyPlowKing

ToyPlowKing Junior Member

Do yourself a favor and get rid of it (the salt). In the future consider a sheet of rubber or EPDM. Pretty heavy and nice for not moving with the wind.

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yeah it will dry out, but its alot of work. what are you spreading it with?

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Is it just a crust over it that is no good? Or is it the whole pile?

5. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Holy cow--how much rain did it see? We load off many stockpiles that are not tarped at all from the time the salt comes off the barge until it hits the truck. Not by choice, of course, but that's just how some yards operate.

You could also just call it "Magical Salt" (don't want any copyright lawyers hunting you down) and sell it as treated product...to people you don't know.

:D

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Same thing happened to my pile last week before that rain. Half the tarp came off, and it got wet. Theres a crust on top, but now, im noticing its freezing up in the salter real quick. Sucks. Can't wait till I can have a nice big salt bin, without tarps.

7. AGMI

AGMI Member
    from NE Mass

So what? It won't negatively be affected unless the water saturation is over say about 10%(2000 lbs with 25 gal of water) and the temps are below say 15*. I would spray a little magic-o liquid on it if it is a problem. But whenever this happens to our pile, we just mix it and drive over the clumps with a machine.

8. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

thanks for the response it is just crusty a bit i had planned to move it today but didnt gey to it i think i will try to mash it up w=ith my bobcat its only about 15 ton . i use a smith electric v box spreader