1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt found!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mkatrucking, Jan 8, 2009.

1. mkatrucking

mkatrucking Junior Member
    from Iowa

Hey all, Just wanted to let ya'll know that I found a guy that has like 200 Ton of perfect rock salt left in the midwest. Not sure exactly where he is out of but got a load in about an hour ago and it's perfect. The very dry and is stored inside. Must of come from Cargill or North American or something. Very nice stuff. With the salt shortage just thought I would let everyone in the midwest know. He delievered and it was pretty cheap. His number is 563-529-1262. Oh yeah the best part was it is COD! Good luck

2. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Wish I was closer! North American still tells me they can't supply me with any this year and all I'm looking for is 15 ton.

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

what is cheap ?

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i don't think there is any shortage...call MFA in Guilford,MO they can have you as many loads as you need, $39.50/ton and yes it's dry, it comes right out of the ground....

5. mkatrucking

from Iowa

Dailylc... Try him I think he is in Chicago. $39.50/Ton.... I'd like to see a sample.....

6. Jay brown

it's screened(fine) but it's been working with the Geomelt...

7. mkatrucking

from Iowa

Gotcha... that makes sense.. Salt has been crazy around this area. Big time shortage.

8. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I just ordered 40 yards of salt, at $100 a yard and its being delivered tomorrow. I was told that they're yard is around 1 1/2 tons. I usually buy from them all the time and that seems correct. Doesn't appear to be any shortage around here, just general high prices. I decided I wanted to stop screwing around with these little 4 yard loads that I'm taking in my dump truck, and just go all the way and fill my bin for the winter.

9. michigan salt

michigan salt Member

MKA,
    Thought the stuff I sent you was the nicest you've seen?? Just kidding bud. I appreciate your business. Glad you found some more salt. The trucking costs to get down to you were too expensive. Keep me posted. Thanks again for your orders. We got 10K ton more of treated salt if you need something let me know.

Andy
    Michigan Salt

10. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

where did you get the salt? dirtDr in chelmsford?

11. Jay brown

i know this is an old thread but anyway, just thought i'd offer some advice since i have 2 more loads of the "cheep stuff"(fine salt) coming tomorrow....i would like to state the 2 out of the 3 times that i think fine salt works just as good or better as road rock salt...1. a very very light but still very slick coating of ice. 2.snow residue after plowing..and for #3 the situation when it does not work is on a heavy thick ice...anyway just thought i would try to save you guys some $$$$ and maybe put some salt in your bin......this summer i will start 2 bins, one for fine salt and one for road rock salt...probably have a third for treated that i can sell to the guys that don't prewet at the spinner....fyi i also think that this fine stuff is a whole lot better on the concrete...

12. Sparky925

Sparky925 Member
    from Mass

$100.00 a yard in the NBPT area who do you get it from ?

13. Jay brown

talking to me?

14. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

MKATrucking- What is the price per ton?

15. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Do you know if he'll deliver to Milwaukee?

16. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I just heard todaythat the port of providence shut off all contractors and will only sell to stat and towns. Where can I get more? What is NBPT, New Bedford? any luck with a phone number?

17. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

563 area code is eastern Iowa

18. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

Give these guys a call they are open 24 hrs.

The dirt Dr.s chelmsford Ma. Just got off the phone with them (978) 256-5200

19. Jay brown

still no salt shortage in this area.....called today and have a load of road rock salt coming tuesday and the fine stuff is easy to get also...pm me if you need contacts.. fine is $39.50 FOB KS and rock salt is $94 delivered here from KS...

20. Jay brown

i'm cleaning out the bin on the left tomorrow(saw dust) and going to start storing rock salt in it and going to continue with the fine salt in the middle bin.... figured i'd use fine everytime except when we have thicker ice, then i'll have rock salt....i might get the other bin and stock some sand in it.... got a few calls back in december for sand to some of these smaller towns around...

100_0454.JPG