1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt formula?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Alpha Property, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

is there a formula for how much square footage to effectively treat per ton of salt?
  2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

read the back of a salt bag you buy at a store and then multiply it out, they are the "professionals". for me i put down between 125,000 SF to 175,000 SF to a ton (but a lot depends on conditions and customer preferences)

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

1 ton will normally do 3.5-4 acres, but like redman said it all depends on conditions. If you are figuring small lots using bags 1lb=80sqft I think is what I've seen. I could be wrong so don't bust my ba***, using that math 1ton would do 160,000sqft
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try the ice forum for more responses too.
    Put down enough to melt the ice and make the customer happy.
  5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

many threads on this.... For normal temps...high teens and up,...20# per thousand square feet (for lots).
  6. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

He is Canadian, speak his language! Its 7.71-9.07kg per 92.90 square meters. That works the best for me and is the most commonly sited on here as well.
  7. redman6565

american = ((canadian*1.2435)/the next lunar eclipse)-2.00(that's only if brittany spears shaves her head again, if not then only subtract 1)
  8. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

ROFLMAO..... or just do 17-20lbs per 1000sq ft and you should be fine
  9. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

lol interesting, thanks alot guys
  10. redman6565

you'll find that the more you do it, the more you'll tweak the application rates to your own personal liking
  11. leon

leon Senior Member

salt formula

A ton of rock salt 2,000 US pounds will treat 5 miles of "two lane road" with a 20 foot driving width using the formula of 200 pounds "per lane mile" using the State of New York DOT minimum salting standards which equals 528,000 square feet of surface area.

It amounts to .003788 pounds per square foot.

:eek: Its not my fault you didn't stop me!

And we all know our tax dollars are spent wisely salting the roads into oblivion and ruining the water.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009