1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt for Walks in Bulk?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PremierLand, Jan 19, 2007.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I do some walks and a few small lots with a push spreader, I currently go through a pallet of salt in 2-3 storms. I was thinking, what about just buying in bulk (a ton at a time) not bagged, and just tarp it and use a shovel to get it into the spreader. Then at the end of the storm put a 2x4 4ft tall in the middle and tarp it so the snow/rain doesnt build up.

Has anyone done this or thought about it. Instead of spending $160 on a pallet of salt, I could get the same amount in bulk for like $50-60.

Also, I have a bed liner.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, I've thought of that. The problem is that bulk salt has some moisure, naturally, and absorbs more from the atmosphere even with a tarp or other cover (mine was in an unheated garage). The moisuture made it still freeze into a lump. If you want a demonstration, rip open one of your bags and leave it. The exposed salt will freeze as it absorbed moisture from the air. The salt further into the bag will not be frozen.

You get what you pay for.

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

what kind of walks are you putting salt on...they dont want calcium

4. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Some want calcuim or potassium but only 2, so I just use about 2 bags of cal or potassium.

the rest is salt

5. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

did you ask if u can keep material on site?.... personally i just get pallets of material. less clean up.. less work shoveling if your already shoveling the walks.... some bulk salt has large peices and i dont know what kind of walk behind spreader u are pushing but it might be a pain in the balls if a large peice gets stuck and then you have to uncloge it.....

for me. pallets and push spreaders in a storage container on site.........

6. sharpercut

sharpercut Junior Member
    from MD

At the beginning of the season we bought two tractor trailer loads for MAG in the 1 ton super sacks. You can use those sacks, but if you open it, you better use the whole ton up or else the moisture will screw it up. Also, the price for the super sacks was the same per lb. as the 50lb bags, so for most instances it would make sense to use the bags.

We have the 40 tons of MAG in inventory and have yet to get even a chance to put a single application out. Might have our first chance this Sunday. Thank God.

7. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Premier If you go to bulk for that small amount it wont be good. As the other post said bulk gets to much water out of the air. During a storm its a pain to have to break up clumps just to get the salt ready to spread. In bags its always ready yes it cost a few more bucks but its ready. If you go to bulk and follow the EPA regs you have to contain all run off to ground water. That calls for placing a base cover on the ground and controlling all run off with a dike or berm and and pumping the run off into a tank and getting rid of it. Yes most guys just build a covered shelter and store there stuff on site or at there shop but if the EPA gets ya the fines are huge.Thats why I just don't deal with bulk.