1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt for residential drives

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TSG, Nov 20, 2001.

1. TSG

TSG Member

I'm doing drives that are appox. 10'x75' with a 25'x25 pad.. so that's 1375 sf. Approximately how much salt is needed to cover that area for a medium application?

Should I price such a small application by the square foot? What would be a good price for such an area? I'll be using a walk behind spreader.. if that helps..

2. TSG

TSG Member

C'mon now...

50# bag? Half a bag?

I'll try searching again.. but most threads are in reference to tons and tons of salt...
  3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Do the math, same as fertilizer. Pick your de-icer, check the recommended rates, then pro-rate accordingly.
  4. diginahole

diginahole Member

25 lbs over 1375 sq ft = 18 lbs/1000 sq ft. I would consider that a medium application rate. 10 lbs per 1000 on the low side up to 40 lbs per 1000 on the high side. You have to be the judge based on amount of ice and temperature.