1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Flow Help on Receiver Mount Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mow-it-alls, Feb 11, 2016.

1. mow-it-alls

mow-it-alls Junior Member

Hey there,

I have two trucks that are running receiver mount spreaders. One of them is a Meyer BL400 and the other is a Salt Dogg TGSUVPROA. They are both around 500-lb capacity. The Meyer is hi/low/off and the SaltDogg has a blaster and nine speeds. I'm not satisfied with product flow on either of them.

I use ice melt or fine rock salt, both in small pellets that don't clog either.

The Meyer seems to only auger down a small amount of product, so I have to cruise as slow as I possibly can, braking the whole way, and I still need three passes to salt a given area. It's incredibly frustrating and I was wondering if there was any way to speed up salt flow. I know a vibrator is an option but I've run this thing with fresh, uniform product straight from the bag so clogging doesn't seem to be an issue.

The SaltDogg has the opposite problem. Salt flows way too fast. Whether the spreader is on low, high or off, product flows right through it. I literally use it by having a guy in the bed who dumps product in as fast as he can and I fly through a lot doing 10 mph - and it still goes on heavy. The Meyer can at least hold its product, but this thing just lets it all flow out.

I'm hoping I can find a solution to these issues and make my salting a bit easier to do! Thanks

2. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

This may seem like a silly question, but are you sure the rotation of the motor is correct. We have several of the Meyers mini Jr, which is similar to the BL240. If the motor rotation is reversed the auger won't pull the salt down in the spinner. At the high speed setting, the mini jr will run through a hopper of salt in about a minute. If you or anyone else has installed a new motor on either spreader it's very easy to reverse the rotation.

3. mow-it-alls

mow-it-alls Junior Member

I'll definitely check today. I purchased the unit used and mounted it to the truck. How do I reverse the rotation if necessary?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes it's as simple as reversing the wires at the plug

5. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

On the mini jr's you simply have to reverse the leads on the motor. Not sure about the BL model but it should be similar.