1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt first or after plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OBX, Feb 9, 2011.

1. OBX

OBX Junior Member

Question for you guys up north that deal with snow. Down here in the south we don't get as much snow so Do you Salt first before it snows and then salt after you plow or do you just plow and then salt?
    Thanks OBX
  2. skimastr105

skimastr105 Member

plow then salt.
  3. misterbluesky

misterbluesky Junior Member

I have done both. Have found that by pretreating hills & intersections it does help reduce the bonding of packed snow to pavement. Also reduces the amount of salt needed after the storm if any is needed at all. We do alot of HOA's with hills so the reduced slippage & increased traction makes a difference.
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Pre-treat will reduce the amount of salt needed as it prevents bonding, providing a cleaer surface faster. We do both it depends on temp, moisture content, wind, etc. If I think the brine will get diluted to a freeze point (low temps) before accumulation is on to then I dont ussally pre-treat to avoid black ice. It is a judgement call, knowing the capabilities of the product your using as well (sodium chloride, or treated with ???).
  5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

best way to get the job completed in most situations.
  6. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I don't pre-salt as much as I should, I have had great success with it but just don't really do it, if everyone in the Northeast salted before and after each snow this year, we would have drained the worlds salt supply, haha