1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt events

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by alteeter, Nov 19, 2008.

1. alteeter

alteeter Junior Member

Hey all, was wondering if anyone here has a good idea of how many "salt events" there will be in the west/midwest Michigan area? Im in grand rapids, mi so Im just outside the "lake effect" zone. maybe if anyone has info from last year? Just trying to calculate how much salt to buy for my accts. so I actually have enough to last the year/not pay out the nose for it in jan/feb. thanks guys

2. GSJ

GSJ Junior Member
    from W. MI

Last year we salted about 45 times. It depends if you would be salting at a fuzz of snow like I do or only after plowing. I'm in your area.

3. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Do'nt know about the supplies in Mi but in Ia we are all ready short and paying out the noise. even for the contracts that order their's earlier this year, If I had cust final found a place that had some a couple weeks ago an paid $100 ton the closer palce to get was going to be IN Mn and it was going to cost me $135 a ton. I've learn the hard way this year to get my clients to sign early andget it order quick!!!
    This is my first year throwin sand/salt and it was a heck of a learning experiance and still am learning.
    was sub-ing all of it out last couple of years and smack my self in the head what I was paying out for them to do it.

my point I guess is go I would go in to Noaa and find the average's snow fall events in your area for the year they have a page you can go in to and find out like the 5 year/ 10 average I seen that someone told that to another member in a differant thread a few day's ago

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

We salted 60+ times last year on the east side of the state. They LOVE salt over here, just ask Mark... ...he knows.;) :waving: