1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt effects on blacktop and concrete

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Eronningen, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I am wondering if you guys have a specific answer to this question.
    1.) Does salt affect blacktop in any way?

I am aware salt affects concrete and can break it down. So with that in mind,
    2.) How serious are the effects of salt on new or fairly new concrete? Is it detrimental to use on sidewalks? Or is this only a real problem if the concrete already is chipped and cracked?

I use plain old road salt. Most sidewalks I can get with the v box by driving close enough.

A customer asked this question and I did field it, just wondering what your thoughts are and if you have any interesting links to prove your thoughts? Thanks

2. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

You know what, my bad. I did a search on this and came up with what I think are some reasonable answers. But if you'd like to re visit it I'd be happy to hear.

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

As long as the customer requires service (de-icers, etc.) just make it known that you are not responsible or liable for the integrity of their existing pavement/walks/pavers. Choose your product wisely.

Lots of debates on this issue regarding what damage chems actually do to hard surfaces. :gunsfiring:

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Reading other posts is a great way to find your own answers.
    Tons of info here if you LOOK for it.
    Glad you found what you needed