1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt dust

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KenP, Dec 10, 2002.

1. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I've recently broke down and bought three SnowEx tailgate spreaders. I've been pretty loyal to the old walk behinds, so I'm new to the whole get my trucks completely covered in salt dust club. I've been told to spray WD-40 on the tailgate prior to going out, however I've been a little neverous about screwing up my paint. Anyone have any ideas or tricks they use? Please do tell!

Ken

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

For starters I take my gate off, more visibility and easier to access stuff in the bed with the spreader on. I use a 2x8 just for security. I dont do much extra, just wash it down really good when I'm done, but I always have done that. Even before I salted the truck would get completely covered in salt from roads, and other lots, so now I just have to wash the rear around the salter area extra thoroughly :D

3. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

There is a patrolium by product in WD40 that will eat your paint.

Just hose it off, soap it up and rinse it real good and it will never know there was any on it.

Also you drive in the salt anyways so what difference does it make to get it all over your truck.

4. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Pieces of salt from broken/spilled bags will work their way behind the bumper into frame rails or any horizontal surface they can find. Just make sure you wash/pressure wash the back end of your vehicle very well after each event. I like the pressure washer since the wand can reach under the truck more easily than a regular hose nozel. Just be careful what you aim that thing at. I wash the entire truck (not always soap) after each time it goes out.

5. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

i wouldn't spray anything on the truck, but one thing we use on our stakebbodies with v boxes are mud flaps. they help to keep salt off the truck and out of the trailer plugs. I'm sure you could find a way to attach it to the pickup bed to help keep the bumper and wiring harnesses somewhat free of heavy salt accumulation from your spinner.

6. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

What i Do!!

On my pick up with the tail gate spreader i found an old carpet that had a rubber underside. I screwed it to a 2X4 and cut the 2X4 to fit inside the truck bed and allow the rubber to hang out the back all the way to the road (Like a full length mud flap!) salt won't make it in-between the bumper and the truck and keeps everything clean!!!!

7. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Hmmmm...
    I use WD40 on everything, never had a problem in 5 years.

Best rust preventer I know, where did you hear it eats the paint off?

So far I havent seen it at all.... And Zero rust either..