1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt drying up already ??!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by scottL, Dec 11, 2008.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

My local connection has had their pick tickets cut in half and nothing more until Jan. A few other local places are bone dry. Major chains are out or nearly out. Prices have been bumped up already. Those with stock are limiting pallets per week.

What are you guys hearing??????
  2. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

I am calling in an order tomorrow of bulk. I will let you know. But I haven't had any problems nor has a few buddies of mine. I believe one just took 3 semis two days ago. Must be your suppliers.
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

umm your nuts.. i called for an order today , got 3 prices , all three could deliver with in 24 hours or less.. one said a few hours and i could have it , granted i was 135 deliver with tax.... but not too bad

i was told more barges are makign there way up the river.. and 40 degrees this weekend will help with that... plus other than next week on wed/thrusday ... there is nothing forcasted till x mas. I wouldnt get worried unless you dont have what you need for a month or so
  4. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

sweet, nothing till xmas. I can finally get me new trucks finished. $135 delivered is not bad. I have heard (not purchased) $145 + trucking + fuel + tax from some places. Screw that. Granted I am doing alot better than $135 with no fuel, trucking, and super low tax at 7.25%

5. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Somebody is nuts....I called a guy last week.....He asked me how much I wanted...and when. I said I really didnt figure you would have any...he laughed and said, let me know if you need more. I stopped by the sand dreddging plant this last week to get some more sand to mix with our salt during a storm and i was 7 trucks back in line at the scales... i'm thinking WTF....so i called the office to see what was going on and the lady was like what do you mean, it's snowing, it's always like this when it snows. I was like yeah when you guys are selling Mixed, you dont have any salt....she was like....who told you that? I start looking and they have a big ol pile of salt. When i went back to the scales after i filled up i asked her if they had enough to get through winter and she told me depending on the weather and when the next shipment got there they shouldnt run out.

I know the Home Depot & Westlake Hardware here has told me they have recieved gurantees from their suppliers they wont run out.
  6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

time will tell prsport
  7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

so much for the "shortage"
  8. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

elitesmith, you mind me asking where you are getting salt for $135. we paid $165 plus delivery for the first 200 tons out of the port of indiana. we need another 150 tons in the next month or so.
  9. purpleranger519

from Kansas

Wow....i was about to say that $135 was a little high compared to what I paid LAST WEEK but, hell I paid more than that on my first load I recieved in Oct. though. The stuff is like gas prices right now....up and down ...up and down. I don't think suppliers are as low as they let people to believe.

grsp....if elite can't help you out send Powerjoke a PM, I think he may know a guy that can help you.
  10. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

We have no problem getting salt here in Ontario. Have a second load comming in this morning, after a really busy December. We usually get another load of salt around the second week of January.

You guy's are getting ripped in price also. I pay $78.00 plus tax per ton delivered to my door.
  11. bridge577

bridge577 Member
    from ohio

Wow I feel bad for you guys out there I'v been upset paying $90 per ton w/delivery. We've already went through 150 ton and restocked yesterday. And we haven't even really got into winter yet.
  12. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

No I'm not nuts, a little crazy at times but not nuts. What I posted is what I have been finding. I don't do much in bulk maybe there is a difference but, I've also heard that is slowing up too. Maybe your sources have more on hand for right now - dunno. We are expecting two - three storms starting sun/mon.
  13. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

No shortage here, I call, they deliver in 4 hours.
  14. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

dam 130 a ton 58 with tax included here
  15. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

$170 a ton bagged here (plus tax) and I also heard the bagged stuff is rolling into a shortage. I've talked to a couple places that have been shorted several semi loads already from Cargill and a few places are out with no idea when its coming back in. Again this is all bagged though...
  16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

None yet anyway. LOL

I prepaid for 820 tonnes and ordered the first 2 loads from someone else. I don't want to go through what I went through last year.
  17. purpleranger519

from Kansas

The Manager at the Home Depot & Westlake Hardware have both told me that they have a guarantee from their bagged supplier that they will not run out. At the Westlake Hardware here they even had a form to fill out if you were wanting to pre-order pallets you would get 15% off the pallet price. I get my bagged stuff through United Rentals though, I do a pre-season order then mid-season since they don't keep it in stock, but I called my guy there today to ask about bagged and if there would be issues on being able to get some in January his reply was "nope, won't be a problem at all"
  18. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

you have 2 v box spreaders and you run bag salt ? isnt that a pain in the ass ? specially with a 6yrd spreader??
  19. purpleranger519

from Kansas

I buy bagged Ice melt...for sidewalks.

You should have read the first 2 post i had in this thread.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  20. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Could it be the price is up where the mine's want it and for some reason they have salt now.