1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt driveways or just pow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by new guy 79, Dec 30, 2009.

1. new guy 79

new guy 79 Junior Member

one of my customers came out as I was finishing plwing her drive and aasked me if I could get any closer to the drive cause it packs down and turns to ice. Am I just not getting closeenough or do I need to be salting as well?

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

salt, or take shoes off plow

3. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

This is the so called "picky customer" This is the one you offer salt to!
    Do you have a spreader already and is this the only person who complains?

4. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I would never salt a customers drive...you will never put enough or will put too much and that is something else for them to complain about.

5. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I was salting one client (out of 15) for 2 years...My BIGGEST pain in the ass driveway too...I was just spreading by hand and this was a pain and lots of work and expense trying to keep up for just one client. I told her this year that I could not salt any more and if this was not ok, she would have to find someone else. She said okay and that she would take care of it herself. It's amazing how much salt you can go through for one storm!

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Offer salting to the customer at an additional charge

7. ChicagoPlower

ChicagoPlower Senior Member

You're not doing anything wrong. Unless go have a back plow, and they're not perfect all the time, it's tough to scrape the driveways clean enough that ice won't form in areas. I went through the same dilemma for years, until we started offering salting to all of our customers. Explain to them why it's needed to control ice, and price accordingly. It takes some time to figure out when to put it down and what kinds work best, but it's worth it. It is a PITA at times but we profit more from salting a driveway than plowing it. The customers who we salt are always happy, which is good for the peace of mind.

8. bskiball

bskiball Member

I will put salt anywhere someone will pay my price to do it. :)

9. bosman

bosman Senior Member

If they agree to pay extra for it salt. I have never salted a driveway, my residental customers are just happy they don't have to grab a shovel. In fact a few told me last year they couldn't believe how well their drive looked after I was done. I'm pretty sure its because of the DP on my Snoway, love the DP.

10. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Same! But instead oh DP i take off the plow shoes, But we don't salt/spray driveways too much because its not that easy gettin' the Kodiak or the NPR to back up into driveways:dizzy:
    Crazy most people who want salt/brine are the ones with the BIG inclines! :nod:

11. jb3nh

jb3nh Member
    from eastern

A couple bags of salt/de-icer + labor is cheaper than a hip replacement.