1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg WB's

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

How are the Salt Dogg walk behind spreaders? If they aren't any good, can someone please recommend a good one to me? I don't know if I want to spend the $200+ on one.

Thanks,

Brant

2. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

We have (2) they suck...comparable to Earthway's which are less expensive. Swenson/Meyer has a good one we have had good luck with, but not perfect for sure.

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Thanks for the warning. I will have to look into Swenson. I know I heard somebody saying something about Salt Dogg on here, but I can't remember what was said. I think it may have been bad.

4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I have the meyer, pretty good spreader. Personally I think they all suck, some just suck less LOL.
    Earthway has a newer model that is supposed to be pretty good for magic, and other heavy blends or st. rock salt. It has a blue hopper.
    Most will work fine with cal. pellets, it is the blends (most blends are 95% rock salt) were the issues come up.
    What ever you end up with fluid film the piss out of it, the stuff works. If you do not have a source let me know, a friend of mine sells it, and he ships fast.

5. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

What is fluid film?

6. Brant'sLawnCare

I will definitely look into Meyer then. Are there any dealers around you that sell them? I am not aware of any around here. So Fluid Film helps protect the spreader, or what? I don't have a source so I will let you know when I need some.

Thanks,

Brant

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I picked up my meyer walk behind at Adams in McHenry, I dont normally shop there since they have no clue who I am after purchasing 2 plows and thousands of dollars in parts. I needed one quick so I went there. My plow dealer now is in Erie, he knows who I am. Start watching e-bay. Couple went cheap on there last year.

yes fluid film work like a dream on any metal objects for rust control. I spray the hell out of all my cables, wiring and metal, on the plows, v-box, and tailgate spreader. Backside of the bumpers on the trucks, brake/trans/fuel lines you name it. The stuff works on the grill too !

8. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

Where are you getting the fluid film?

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Paging Dano, we need a disclaimer :D

The easiest place to find it is at a John Deere dealer.

10. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Yes the salt doggs are terrible...we wont be buying anymore of them for sure.

11. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

We use Earthways, cheaper and seem to last just as long if maintained.

12. Brant'sLawnCare

What's so bad about them? I am curious since that's what everyone says about them. Do they just fall apart?