1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg walk behind spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fulltiltwill, Oct 11, 2006.

1. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

I'm sick of buying a cheap walk behind spreader every year that I have to rig mud flaps on the sides to contain the salt on the walks. So I'm looking into a Salt Dogg walk behind spreader with the three sided deflectors for spreading control. Does anybody have any experiance with a unit like this? Good or bad before I spend the $180.00
    Thanks Adam
  2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I heard great things about them and tried one last year. I found they lasted a little longer than the regular spreaders, but by the end of the year it was junk.
  3. fulltiltwill

Thanks Hicks, think I'll save my money.
    How's your spray rig coming?
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We have had a Agrifab spreader for over 5 years. Wash it everytime and we spread bulk salt from it. You should get many years from a good spreader.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have one .not built that well . plastic is very thin im on my second hopper .
    not worth the money. i have an agrafab? 6yrs old fell out of the truck while driving still works great.

6. fulltiltwill

Are you guys using the one with the drop down shield to narrow the spread pattern or just the normal kind?
  7. LB1234

LB1234 Member

We've been using an earthway w/50# hopper with the 3-sided plastic deflector. We only run bagged salt. We just make sure to break up the bag before placing it in the WB spreader. We hose it down after every storm and spray all metal parts down with WD40. Going on its 4th year.

Only problems are sometimes the spinner pin needs to be replaced or the handle bar gets twisted from getting it in and out of the back of the pickup. We just keep one or two pins in the glovebox now.

8. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

will-I have the one with the drop down side shields. Don't know about the hot shot Meyer, but might try it or the Agrifab. I really didn't use my Saltdogg that much, it just seemed like it didn't hold together at all. Handles twisted; salt never flowed out. Hopping it up and down a couple times to get salt moving does that to handles. The thing dropped ice melt like it was water going thru it. I had to close it nearly all the way off when using ice melt. Rock salt with the spreader opened up all the way the rock salt didn't come out. I could throw it down by hand faster. When it worked, it did work great. That was the first night.
  9. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Has any one used the Lesco spreader? I've had decent results from it but if the hopper gets wet then things tend to clog the holes on the hopper and it's hard to clear with 50-80# of salt in it. On my to do list is to make the squiggly bar above the holes better.