1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg VS Others

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Stonebrook Fenc, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Stonebrook Fenc

Stonebrook Fenc Junior Member

We are looking at purchasing a Salt Dogg SHPE2000 poly salt spreader. I am trying to compare it to other poly spreaders like the Western, Sno Ex, Sno Way. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I like the auger driven Saltdogg. You don't have to tighten/adjust the pintle chain after it stretches. And there are fewer grease points. And it's close to 2K less than the Tornado. The Polycaster which is the same as the Tornado can be had for less than the Tornado, but still about a thousand more than the Saltdogg. I like the idea of the "barn doors" on the Tornado/Polycaster as you don't have to mess with a tarp like on the Saltdogg but it won't work on my truck as I have a ladder rack on it and I'd never be able to open the doors with the ladder rack on it.

3. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

Agree with harleyjeff, we have a shpe1500 & 2000, both are great salters. Bought the 1500 used 2 years ago and replaced the vibrator last year and the spinner motor this year (which was from the 2000 that we got in 2006). So 6+ years of no problems isnt bad and they definitely paid for themselves time and time again.

and I was thinking of making the cover on them like the tornados, might try that next year. Dealing with the tarp by myself is a pain, well that depends on which way I take the tarp off lol

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Also the saltdogg is a fully contained unit, so it doesn't dump salt out the back like a fisher/western.

I just bought a new 2000 for $3500 shipped to me last week from central parts warehouse.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Friend cut a sheet of plywood in half and put hinges on it

6. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

Theres an idea

7. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I only got my shpe 2000 middle of last year but i loved it. Only things i can say is it does spread harder to the drivers side, not a problem for me. It is really difficult to grease so either plan on taking the salter off or buy the grease kit. Oh and make sure your alternator meets the amps cause the truck i had it on last year was lower than it was supposed to be and the controller will shut off every 20 minutes or so and it gets annoying. I recommend getting one. the only other salter i would be interested in is the boss vbx mainly just because i am a boss guy but it looks good, i have no experience with it though

8. Stonebrook Fenc

Thank you all for the feedback. I have ordered the Salt Dogg. I will post back and let you know our experience.

9. THEGOLDPRO

How much you get it for?

10. Stonebrook Fenc

$3899 no tax shipped to my front door from Wise Sales.

11. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

ouch...:confused:

12. Stonebrook Fenc

Whats the going rate for a new one?

13. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

14. THEGOLDPRO

I paid 3500 shipped from central parts warehouse.

15. THEGOLDPRO

Coulda saved 400 bucks by shopping around.

16. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

did you get last years model or the 1 with the updated chute and spinner?

17. readysnowplow

readysnowplow Senior Member

We have 4 of them. No problems so far.

18. Stonebrook Fenc

it is this years model.

19. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I just paid 2980 for a new one, no shipping though.

20. Stonebrook Fenc

From whom??