1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg v box reliability

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brian Young, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Looking for another v box this year, would love to buy another Downeaster but no one around here sells them any more. Looking at these Salt Dogg's but I've seen over the years on here many people bought them due to the price but also had numerous problems. Have they become more reliable over the past couple years or not.

2. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I bought one 2 years ago, it has been trouble free so far

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I bought one new last year. Was not impressed with it at all. The salt froze up in it at least three times. Part of that was because the salt we got was so wet that you could make snowballs out of it. The guys that had drag chains didn't have the problem. I'm going to try it one more year, and if it doesn't work properly it will be on Craigslist in April. Part of the problem may have been my own fault though. I don't think I had the baffles opened enough for "wet salt" according to the Saltdogg owner's manual. Like I said though, I'll give it one more year and write last year off as a learning curve.

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

If your talking about a true "v" box they are great !! We bought a stainless one back in 2006. We have replaced the motor last year and a couple of bearings. Best $3000 ever. The plastic electric ones are another story

5. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I have the plastic electric SHPE 2000 and love it. no issues yet. the only freezing issues were my own fault and one was the salt yards fault for letting the salt get soaked. no electric spreader has enough power to push through drenched wet salt. overall, i will be buying another when i need another. I also want to buy one of the boss salters but that's just because i like boss and their quality.

6. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I should edit to add, mine is a stainless model with an ic engine and drag chain

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

We have a sphe 1500 and tgs07 only issue is when driver leaves salt in and it freezes or they back onto something. One driver smashed gearbox on the tgs07. No control issues and no issue with spreading bulk. Pattern on both seem heavier to driver side no matter what adjustments we tried. Also have a saltdogg UTG that has been flawless other than an some critter chewing on spinner harness. Now the swenson we have is one huge expensive heaping pile of excrement.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well glad to hear of no major issues like previous years with the controllers etc. I wouldn't be leaving salt in it, I learned thats a no-no years ago and our salt is in dry storage. It's too bad Downeaster stopped production on their ploy V boxes ours has been flawless since new. I was quoted over 7k for a new Fisher and thought that was very expensive and saw these around the 3500.00 range so if there isn't any issues with them I think I'll go for it. Please keep your experiences coming. Thanks

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

If your up for a road trip. Angelos supply in Wixom mi has them the cheapest

10. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

We've owned electric poly salt dogg's, UTG electric salt dogg's, and gas vbox sal dogg's.

No way I would buy either of the first again, the latter is a decent product, very easy to work on. Ask Mark about his electrics!

11. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

You get what you pay for.

Buy a VBX 8000. We got rid of 5 SPHE2000's for VBX 8000's.

12. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Our 2 yard v box's have been pretty good to us. We try to rotate them out after 3-4 years. The poly 2 yard is going on its 3rd year and I really like it. Not one issue and easier to use on lighter snows, you can dial the auger down and leave the spinner at normal speed.

13. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

i have 2 4ton 3 2ton and 2 1.5ton. only issue is the control get a analog controller and you are fine

14. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

15. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Instead of "tons", do you mean "yards"? Never heard of 4 ton spreaders etc...

16. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

A yard of salt is roughly a ton so it's a comparable number yards vs tons.