1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg V box Question

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by procuts0103, Oct 1, 2012.

1. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

When you turn on the unit, does it turn on full blast for a second and then slow down or does it turn on to where the dial is set?

I had a SnowEx salter and every time you hit the power switch it ran full blast for a second or two. I hated this feature!

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes it does go full bore for a couple seconds.If you don't want that to happen just leave it powered up and have your auger and spinner on 0 until you need them.
  3. procuts0103

That is the DUMBEST idea ever. I love my Fisher PolyCaster. Turn it on and no full bore at startup...

Thanks for the info, I dont know if I want a salt dogg now....

4. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Clearly you do not fully understand the benefits of why it does that
  5. procuts0103

Let me explain,

Why would you want the motor to run full bore with a full load of salt?? All that does is put strain on the motor, giving it max voltage and it puts alot of stress on the shear pin and chain. Think about it... I would rather, use the vibrator, then turn on the unit at low speed and then turn it up.

Turning on an electric motor at full speed burns the brushes and commutator. Applying low voltage at start up and then turning it up is the proper way to go... Now if it is a brushless motor system then you can do whatever... as there is no brushes or commutator to hurt.

Clearly I do understand....