1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg under tailgate spreader need review

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jlouki01, Nov 7, 2011.

1. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

Anyone using the Salt Dogg under tailgate spreader? I would be using the dual electric drive model on our K3500 Dump.

92440SSA Model..
  2. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I talked to a couple of local excavating and asphalt companies that bought them and they like them on there tandem and single axel trucks. You might have a clearence problem though. I tried buying one for my 04 3500 dump and every dealer said not a good idea but I saw one on a F450 it worked but man was it low to the ground.
  3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I'm also looking into the tailgate spreaders. I'm looking to go replacement tailgate instead of undertailgate for a few reasons. As stated, on a 1ton, the spreader will be lower to the ground. With a replacement, you are replacing a 300lb tailgate with a 200-400lb spreader (depending on manufacturer). With an undermount, you are keeping the tailgate and adding a 400-500lb unit. Being overweight is always a concern on small dump trucks. Some food for thought.
  4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Can't comment on the Salt Dogg. We're on our third season with a Swenson Under Tailgate unit. It has been flawless.
  5. Wikywak

Wikywak Junior Member

Hi Guys... I have limited experience with Salt Dogg. I ordered mine with a swing gate. The parts don't fit. I even called the manufacturer and they sent me new parts that still don't fit.

If anyone has had and experience with these or is aware of the installation procedures I am all ears. HELP!!
  6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Not a single issue after adding a vibrator. Best spreader we have by far. Our v box swenson is biggest POS ever. The saltdogg v box is nice but has issue with salt bridging in the chute above spinner.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's your issues? I mounted a custom one last year
  8. Wikywak

Wikywak Junior Member

Hi Guys

I made some progress on the installation today actually. Seems the parts are such that they don't fit after they've been painted. So I put them on the grinding wheel and took the paint off and they fit.

But it still seems like a HUGE installation project and the directions are really small print and hard to follow.

SaltDogg Tailgate Spreader Fits Pickups, Model# TGS05B

Here is the link to Northern Tool page:

If anyone has any tips to share for installing this spreader I'd apprecite your help.

Thank you!

9. dieselss

Fyi wiky, the thread you replied to with your question, was for an under tail gate spreader. NOT a tailgate spreader.
    As far as your spreader, it's not that hard to put together, maybe need an extra hand in mounting it tho.
  10. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

How strong was the vibrator you added?
  11. kimber750

80# but should easily get away with 40#. Mounted to underside of the spreader itself and completely eliminated any bridging.
  12. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Did you get this part too?
    Or This
    One of these options is required.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  13. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks..i misunderstood your post...I was thinking something like 1700lb on the bed itself
  14. kimber750

We only had an issue with bridging at the auger. Never any trouble getting salt to the UTG spreader. Yes you can just raise the bed to eliminate the bridging put for this truck that requires stopping since it is a pto dump.
  15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree on this for most 1 ton dumps. One of my subs bought one last yr, I worked closely around him and got to see it in action many times....plus getting feedback from him. Here is what I can say about it - for an elec unit, its very powerfull, great spread pattern/throw distance, fit & finish of product is very nice for the $, MUST have vibrator, SCARY low to the ground when bed is raised.
  16. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I bought the exact same spreader and just installed it on my L8000 single axle. How did you mount the two black leveling rods that go from the spinner to the angle mount? The directions are a little confusing. Can you post some pics of how yours is mounted?

20141027_161133 (800x600).jpg
  17. kimber750

We don't use it since ours is high enough to not hit the ground with bed all the way up. It is my understanding the rods main purpose is to push spinner backyards as bed is lifted to keep it from hitting the ground. And yes the instructions suck on that part.
  18. dieselss

We left ours off as well
  19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

all you need to do is create a parallelogram with the hinge of the dump being one corner and the spinner pivot hinge the other. The spinner level rod can be shorter as long it remains on the same plane. Simple 8 th grade geometry.

Using the level bar will the stop the spinner from swinging while the truck is in motion and will maintain your distribution pattern as the spinners location under the feed opening is how you adjust your spread pattern
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You'll love it if you've never operated a hydraulic UTG spreader before.

Other than that...............too late now.