1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg TGS07 Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mg1826, Sep 22, 2012.

1. mg1826

mg1826 Member

Is anyone running a Salt Dogg TGS07? I'm thinking about getting one for mostly salt but will add a little sand in here and there. They look decent and the price is right. Any opinions would be appreciated.
    There are also a couple of used Fisher pro caster 2's around but I'm not thrilled with the bolt on mounting options for my truck.

2. Polarismalibu

Polarismalibu PlowSite Fanatic

I looked at them at the state fair this year. Seemed like it is a very nice unit and at a good price also. I'm not to sure how it would work with salt/sand mix though.

3. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

I got one last year. But only used it a hand full of times. 1 thing that I really do like about them is the way they are built. The hopper for the salt and the outside of the spreader are almost like two units. What I mean is if you take the back cover off you have room to mount a license plate and a work light on the front of the spreader. More or less if you drill holes in the front of the box and only go in about a 1" you can run the wires between the hopper and the outside of the box. That to me is a big plus!! Now I can see what kind of salt is being put down and the coppers can see my plate!

4. mg1826

mg1826 Member

I think I'm going to go with the Salt Dogg TGS07 and see how it goes for this year. I don't have a need for a v-box yet and the price of the Salt Dogg is pretty good in comparison to similar ones. Hopefully if I only put salt in on the sites that require it I won't have any issues.

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

It'll run salt just fine. I've had mine for 2 seasons and it's held up really well. I am looking to sell it so if you're interested I can snap pics and we can figure out a fair price. Let me know.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The TGSO7 and its little brother will take about whatever material you throw in them.

They do not have separate auger/spinner motors so you do not have independent flow/distance controls.

Longevity is contingent on how you maintain it. Remember maintenance starts when they are new. Remove all the covers and spray the motor, gearbox, wiring connections and steel components with Fluid Film before using it the first time.

All commercial sites require salt, preferably as a pre-treatment.

7. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Just picked one up
    I'll post some pictures once I unpack it
    Going to hang it off the back of a tractor with a 3point hitch bracket I got made

8. mg1826

mg1826 Member

What brand or kind of bagged salt are you guys running or recommend for this spreader? I'd like to order a pallet and keep it in my garage so I can have it as needed and order more also as needed.

9. MIDTOWNPC

I'm going to be running bulk

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

the TGSO7 will spit bulk all night long. If you're going bags, go cheap it is not very material sensitive.

11. MIDTOWNPC

Once I get it hooked up I'm going to try some sand also
    Give me a few days

12. mg1826

mg1826 Member

Sounds good, I'll post pics once I'm up and running. Thanks for the help!

13. Polarismalibu

Polarismalibu PlowSite Fanatic

Do yo know how much you want for it?

14. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Not at the moment. I'll post a for sale ad once I get some pics taken, I'll include a price then.

15. Kzoolawnking

Kzoolawnking Junior Member

My Biggest question aabout the tgs07 is can i load it with bulk salt from a bob-cat? big enough? let me know!!

16. MIDTOWNPC

You will have to use only one side of the bucket
    Or spill.

17. Kzoolawnking

Kzoolawnking Junior Member

ok thats what i figured, i was looking at dementions and seemed like i could make it work might have to try it out if its not to many loads by side loading bucket.

18. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

I have run a sand salt mixture through mine with no problems, except when a small rock got mixed in with my sand and brought the fully loaded hopper to a grinding halt.
    The only downside for me was the control box crapped out after about 10 storms.

19. CCL LLC

CCL LLC Junior Member

Bought one 2 years ago and have nothing bad to say about it, besides the huge controller. I mostly run a sand salt mix and have never had it jam up. No comparison to the poly caster but for small app it works great.