1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg TGs06

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by turftime01, Dec 24, 2009.

1. turftime01

turftime01 Junior Member

I just had a TGs06 installed and have a question. I have read all the posts on here about this spreader but I need to know, has anyone found a way to get this spreader off the truck with one person to load a skid of salt, or are you just loading the bags over the side rail of the truck?

2. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

you'll need two people to get it off. i tried to get mine off myself, not happening. usually we just load it up over the side if we're in a big storm

3. turftime01

turftime01 Junior Member

Thanks for the input. I was actually supposed to get the TGs05 and the dealer wrote down the wrong number when he sent the work order out to the shop. I am a little nervous about the spreader they put on because of all of the bad posts on here. The one they installed is cheaper and it does not require any holes being put in my truck, I like that part but a little skeptical about the spreader functionality.

4. sharpcutlc

sharpcutlc Junior Member

You can get it off with one person. With a ratchet strap around a truss or something on the ceiling of your shop and back down to the spreader and the other end to a fixed object. make it tight and take it right off and set it on the floor. do it to mine all the time works perfect.

5. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

I've had no problems with the TGS06..the salt would flow out the bottom before they changed the spinner plate and adjusting the flow gate is no big deal..some people just can figure it out I guess, IDK? You'll be fine.

6. turftime01

turftime01 Junior Member

Thanks for the info guys. I sure wish it would snow here so we can use it now.

7. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

I know! I've salted a couple of times but man all we get is rain here in the OH-IO. I heard maybe something Sunday? Maybe you'll be able to test that out

8. turftime01

turftime01 Junior Member

Hey Adam I checked out your web site, nice. I have a step daughter that goes to Walsh and we have been up to Canal Fulton for the Alive festival the last three or four years. Not going in '10 though, didn't like the new park. Small world. Looks like our chances of snow are diminishing as time goes on. It will happen eventually I guess. Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how the salt dogg works out.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  9. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

My fiancée and I both went to Walsh actually! My brother actually graduated from Walsh back in 05. It is a small world! Yeah, let me know how your Salt-Dogg works. I love mine. I'm glad you liked my website. I'll tell you what, websites are worth their weight in gold if they're done right! I think we may get an event Sunday night.

10. turftime01

turftime01 Junior Member

Ok I really don't care to much for this spreader. I have used it only twice and switching it out for a TGS05. I don't like having to get out of the truck to open it and then shut it off. It is a new unit and it still spills a lot of salt before you can get back in the truck and get the truck moving and the spreader turned on. Then if you have to stop and back up to get a corner or something you leavea huge trail of salt because it keeps flowing out with the spinner off. I saw another post about any clump the size of a golfball and the holes get clogged and it is almost impossible to clear, this is true also. This spreader is just not for me.

11. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Junk is Junk

12. turftime01

turftime01 Junior Member

Scott's I believe I have read some of your posts about this spreader and know that you didn't like it. I just don't see how it's ok to get in and out of the truck constantly to open and shut this thing. Especially with the amount of salt you lose.

13. mwmdesigns

mwmdesigns Junior Member
    from Pa

for those losing salt...make sure you have the updated spinner installed. I have had no problems whatsoever, even hopping form acct to acct

14. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

yeah i have no problems dumping salt out ever...you need the new spinner or drill a hole in your spinner plate and move it closer to the flo-gate.

15. turftime01

turftime01 Junior Member

Ok does anyone know the proper measurement from the bottom of the hopper to the impellar. This thing was just installed a few weeks ago, it seems to me that all the spreaders being installed now would have been updated already.

16. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

You would think they would but in my opinion buyers just dont care they built a cheap azz spreader and letting the contractors do all the foot work. If I wouldnt of read it on this site I would never of known about the updated spinner and even when I called my dealer THEY didnt even know they had a recall. Now they need a updated controler and hood latch. Both are also junk on these units.

17. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

OK guys - there was and is no recall. We had thousands of these spreaders in the field last season and just like any gravity fed spreader, they are VERY sensitive to the material used (as well as humidity, temperature, etc.) You should know as well as anyone the amount of crap salt that was being used last year due to the shortages.

We improve our products every year (especially in the first couple years of production). Raising the spinner was one of those improvements.

If we have a dealer or a customer with a problem, we take care of it to best of our ability.

The TGS06 has a manual feed gate. The TGS05 has an auger. That's pretty clear before you buy them - and different contractors have different needs. At this point, the two products are split about 50/50 in sales.

Scott

18. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I have had problems contacting buyers and my dealer and have spent alot of my time trying to keep this thing working, Whats the deal with the controler and door latch or is this the 1st time you have heard of a problem with these items?

19. turftime01

turftime01 Junior Member

Just to make my story clear. I had originally ordered the tgs05. When I took my truck into the shop they transposed one number between the sales guy and the shop. When I picked my truck up they had installed the tgs06. I did not want that spreader based on all of the info posted on here, but told them I would give it a try. I did not like the tgs06 spreader. It spilled too much salt and left piles of salt on my properties everywhere I stopped the truck, if only for 30 seconds, and getting in and out of the truck to open and close the gate on the spreader was a pain in the butt. Also the lid did not close tight and allowed snow to blow inside the spreader, therefore making the salt wet and clumpy. I have since had the dealer switch out the spreaders to the tgs05. This is a MUCH better spreader and I am very happy with the function of it. The control box is even better with the tgs05. Thanks Buyers and my dealer for making things right.

20. pgw0321321

pgw0321321 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I can put mine on by myself, I just line up the hitch with the mount, lean it back on my knee, set the bottom of the bar in my receiver, and push it up slowly, taking care not to drop it out of the receiver, and on my feet.
    I ran about 60 bags threw my TGS06 in the last few days, worked good for me.
    I had to run the vibrator the whole time I was spreading. I would open the flow gate until the salt just filled the spinner and quit spilling out, get back in the truck, hit the vibrator, and go. I run it empty every time I load it, since most of my lots only take about 4-5 bags.
    I did have to tighten up the flow gate, it would work itself closed while I was running the vibrator.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010