1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg spreaders?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bgjj, Oct 30, 2007.

1. bgjj

bgjj Junior Member

Any Know where to get the cheapest Salt dogg poly inserts, towards the North NY state or Michigan maybe. I'm looking to do some cross border shopping
  2. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

I know many people love the Salt Dogg spreader but after speaking to Walker Equipment they have warned me against them because of their auger driven systems. If you have experience to the contrary I would love to hear it.
  3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

The auger drive on the salt dogg is auto reversing when there is a jam and if it get really get jam, you can place a wrench on it and turn it. It has a built in viberator. Just as long as u don't run 100% sand or mag flake. Its will work better than any other electric spreader.
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would take what Walker says with a grain of salt. LOL
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Auger feed is far better then the conveyor drives for everything but straight sand, and some of the incredibly dense products (like Mag Chloride flake, lime, Etc...)

Independent feed and displacement (auger/spinner) controls are the bomb.

does Walker perhaps want to sell you the Western tornado?:cool:
  6. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Funny you ask... Walker Equipment sells both and the Auger driven units they carry are actually more expensive. But thank you for the info...
  7. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Jakala's Truck & Auto Center
    (716) 691-7330
    690 N French Rd
    Buffalo, NY 14201

Ask for Erie or Joe.

I bought a Dogg last year after my old gas motor salter blew up. Didn't want to dump the $$$ but I'm glad I did. The thing works awesome, even using it in the pouring rain/ice storm. Ran over 40 ton of bulk salt through it last season, with only 1 jam that was my fault because I left the cover off and the salt got wet and froze. I'm about ready to buy number 2.
  8. karol

karol Senior Member

Stay away from Walker. I've learned my lesson from doing business with them for 4 years. Stupid me....tymusic
  9. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

can you be more specific... ive only heard good things about them??///
  10. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

In Michigan, cheapest price on salt dogg is at Angelo's Supplies, Inc.
    $2950.00 for the 2yd'r
  11. cornerstone

cornerstone Member

Everything but straight sand, great i just bought one to run straight sand! Any help would be appreciated.
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It'll run it, open your feed gates all the way and don't carry a load while you plow if you can help it.
  13. cornerstone

cornerstone Member

Thanks for the reply. The spreader will be in a designated truck so I won't load until ready to spread. I have the sand tarped to keep it dry. Thanks again.