1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by giggity, Oct 21, 2015.

1. giggity

giggity Senior Member

We are thinking about buying a couple Salt Dogg poly spreaders, does anyone have anything good or bad to say about these? Hows the reliability? How does the auger work compared to a standard drag chain?
  2. easygifts123

easygifts123 Junior Member

Bought the 2 yard one last season myself. Had a few issues with it at first but towards the end it was going fine. Had to have the controller serviced and spreader motor. Had a problem with salt jamming alot but seemed to get better when we opened the baffles. Overall I still liked the spreader but if I didnt have a backup I could have been in a nice jam :nono:
    almost forgot they also cut the plastic deflector when I took it in to get serviced.It may have helped but now it has to be in the perfect position to deflect salt from hitting bumper/back of truck. They said this is what Saltdogg said to do to :eek:
  3. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I won't buy another one.
  4. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Save yourself the headaches and expense, junk motors, garbage controllers, stupid engineering that doesn't work...
  5. bmc1025

bmc1025 Member

Complete junk, buy something with a drag chain.
  6. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

I have 4 . We've had our issues with them, mostly the 2 yard spreaders tho. Once you get into the 2.5 or 3 yard salter everything is better.
    We use our two yard spreaders for laneways cause it spreads to one side more then the other.

2.5 -3 yard spreads flawlessly. To each there own, ive never joined the drag chain party and probably wont.
  7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've had a few of the 1.5 and larger. The only issue was the controller wasn't soldered correctly and needed repair. Otherwise, if you lube the two bearings and keep dry product your fine.

If the baffle isn't open enough then you can cause your own jam. I don't think they any more or less problems from any other salter but they cost a ton less.

Like any salter if you put wet product in and think it will spread after a night of freezing then you've got bigger problems in life.
  8. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

Couldn't agree more