1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vanwhyjr, Dec 28, 2004.

1. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

2. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

I saw one on eBay and it caught my attention. I'm curious about user input on these too.

3. Glenn T

Glenn T Junior Member
    from NE Pa

The Salt Dogg is a really nice set up heavy wire harness, seperate controls for auger, spinner, and vibrator. I did not have a chance to use it yet, it seems like most of the snow is going your way. I'm south west of you in Pa so far we just had rain and lots of ice in the trees and on wires. When we finally get a chance to spread some material I will let you know how it works.

4. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

That would be great! How about some pics of it installed?

5. Glenn T

Glenn T Junior Member
    from NE Pa

Well I was finally able to use the salt dogg. I only needed to drop sand on traction areas, but it worked great. The auger, and spinner have seperate infinate controls. I was able to spread a tire track width, or as wide as 15'. I think it was worth the money.

6. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

Sounds good.
    Where are you located?? I see you are in NE PA. How close to the Pocono's are you?
    I wouldn't mind seeing that spreader up close.

7. Glenn T

Glenn T Junior Member
    from NE Pa

I am approx: 20 minutes from I-80 & I-81. It is hard to say where the pocono's start, everyone has different boundries. Some even say we are in the foot hills. You can send me an e-mail if you like, that way it is not going through the thread.

8. whitegrass

whitegrass Junior Member
    from midwest

How much did it cost? How easy was it to wire up?

9. Glenn T

Glenn T Junior Member
    from NE Pa

Installed I payed $3,400.00 + Tax. It took approx: 3.5hrs to install.

10. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Hey Glenn, Was the material wet when you were spreading it? I'm thinking about buying a V-Box, but I can't afford having this thing plugging up on me. Thanks, Picasssnow

11. Glenn T

Glenn T Junior Member
    from NE Pa

Yes the sand had alot of moisture in it, and it spread just fine. The last storm we had here, it was very cold I'm talkin low teens to high single numbers with strong winds. I have a trucking depot that gets alot of attention, and until I was ready to drop material salt/sand mix the load was frozen. I only had to break it up two or three times, the vibrator took care of the rest. It helps to carry a rubber mallet also. There are two adjustable baffles at the bottom at either end of the auger that allows the material to fall on to it. I have run a few ton threw it with no problems so far.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  12. Langlois Enterprise

Langlois Enterprise Junior Member

I have a steel box spreader ( Air-Flo ) that I use now. I bought it used and have been repairing it as required. New chute, gears, drive chain, bearing and some welding. The spreader chain might be next, so I have been looking at the different types of spreaders. I an leaning toward the stainless steel V spreader because of the rust problem.
    I an in upstate NY, and we use salt sand mix, it is kept outside and is wet and frozen. I would like to know how the Salt Dogg Spreader works for you , this year before I buy one next year.
    I enjoy this site for all the info I learn from it. I sure can kill the down hours, when I am not plowing or working on the equipment. :salute:

13. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Thanks for the info!!!PicassSnow

14. Porkchop

Porkchop Junior Member

Salt Dogg Poly V-Spreader

I am thinking of buying this spreader and was wondering if anybody had any experiance with them. I need to spread salt and anti-skid material.
    The screen looks pretty big, was wondering if spreader jams or clogs up with frozen material.
    Thanks,
    Porkchop