1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt dogg spreader problems

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by 90plow, Dec 2, 2014.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

So I bought a new SPHE 2000 salter from ESI and was promised excellent service if anything broke considering I live 6 hours away. It was a major concern for me and I spent about a month debating it. I talked to Matt g and he had an issue and it was resolved by ESI very quickly. So I figured between his trust in them and they're promises over the phone I could buy from them. So Matt and I headed down bought two boss pushers and the one salter. Wired it up worked great.
    After salting last week it stopped working. I talked to a few people at ESI and they gave me some starting points. I self diagnosed it because all the dealers near me are 15-20 days out. I called ESI an hour ago told them symptoms and that my old controller worked but new one won't.
    I don't know if the guy a spoke to (joe I believe) has ever plowed before but he basically told me if I spend $700 I can get a new controller or I can call buyers and send it back.
    I told him I don't have that kind of money right now and I don't feel I should have to spend it. So I asked how long it would take to go through buyers. His response was a few weeks. I cannot be without a spreader for a few weeks or a month. I don't get the bad attitude and poor customer service. I for one would never buy another buyers product again. I would also never recommend ESI to anyone. I'm a small time outfit I don't have a lot of money and for me to buy a new unit was a big investment and now it's a yard ornament at my shop. Thank-you for letting me vent.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Drop it off at a dealer and have them diagnose it. They may not have a appoint available but if you are willing to drop a unit they may get to it sooner.

Trouble is by buying off the INTERNET (so to speak) you don't have a relationship with a local dealer.

3. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I would call buyers and see what they can do. I had the opposite experience with my dealer. Controller went before it ever saw a teaspoon of salt. They didn't have one on hand and they pulled a controller out of a new unit and sent me on my way. I think the bigger issue is, why does buyers continue to use these sh$t controllers. Go to karrier and have them manufacture the controllers and charge a little more if you have to. I for one, would pay more knowing it has a good controller. I like the spreader but I don't think I'll buy another one. On the flip side, after the initial issue, the spreader has been fine. I don't like the way they rely on customer for R and D though. Hopefully you can resolve the problem, faster than they anticipated but I would definitely call Buyers direct.

I think everyone that buys new equipment buys it with the hopes that they will eliminate problems or headaches in the middle of a storm. I understand that everything breaks but I believe and I think most would agree that brand new equipment, you hope will be trouble free for at least a couple years.- other than operator error etc. It's sad that they know there is a problem but they choose not to address it and keep pumping this sh$t out on unsuspecting customers.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Sadly, it's a case of a dime holding up a dollar with Buyers I think...

We made the choice to run the SHPE series boxes as well, and while we save a substantial chunk of money up front, we also have to become our own "dealer" for parts. We keep enough parts on hand at all times to totally rebuild a spreader, with the exception of the rear auger motor cover and the poly hopper its self.

Spare motors, gearboxes, augers, bearings, vibrators, auger troughs, controllers (Karrier Omega, that the damn things should come with from the factory), and a whole spare harness. Thankfully Buyers isn't like Snowex, where parts are insanely expensive. With the accounts we have, I can't imagine being in the snow business and NOT having our own ass covered in just about every way possible.

I sure understand that's tough to do for smaller 1-2 truck guys though!!!

5. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I just went through the wiring harness again as well as checking both spinners with both controllers. The new controller is throwing every code in the book. First spinner reads H then goes toF and if I hit the vibrator it goes U F. There is no doubt in my mind that it is 100% the controller. There is NO other solution.

6. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I called buyers and got no response back. I wanted to talk to them about my new style spinner. Brand new, Iv used it 3 total times this year. First, the new spinner is leaving a heavy trail of salt in the middle. Some people said there is an adjustment to unbolt the spinner area and adjust it back so the salt hits the back of the spinner. Well I did that, But now it looks like the salt will be directed at hitting the spinner shield and salt will mound up everywhere. Not even full clearence for the salt to flow freely to the disc. WHY??????Our first saltdogg 2000 we bought 4 years ago has been flawless. It came with the white faced carrier box. WHY did they change this?????

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

8. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Does your controller have a wire for key on power? I took my shroud off and built a deflector, it cured the salt trail.

9. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

I had the same problem with my SPHE 0750 long story short I went to saltdogg website looked up authorities dealers. Mine was regional I went in with my receipt and they called buyers to verify my warranty and exchanged it on the spot no money out of my pocket...

10. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Tried calling a few dealers now and none seem to be able to help without giving up my truck. It goes out for spot salting and my other salt truck is getting brake lines right now. I cant give the truck up for a contoller right now. Very tired of this run around game.

11. John_DeereGreen

Buy a controller, put it in the truck and run it. Then when you can let the truck go to the dealer take it in and let them figure out the old controller is bad. They then replace that controller. Now you have a controller to use, and a spare controller.

Yes, I understand it's a new box and you shouldn't have to have spare parts because you have a warranty, but you do. Warranty doesn't mean **** at 3 AM when it's snowing like mad and your controller died. That's why we run all Salt Dogg's, they're cheap for parts and easy to work on, so in the middle of the night it's a quick fix.

My advice on top of this would be to develop a good relationship with your local dealer (where the box should have come from in the first place) and let them trust you enough to bring them parts that went bad under warranty that you had a spare for and changed yourself.

12. Mark Oomkes

Huh, never heard that before. ;) Thumbs Up

13. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Do you stock a spinner motor and auger motor and a vibrator too? Not being wise, just asking. We run more than one spreader so if one goes down, it's a pain but it all gets done.

14. John_DeereGreen

2 of each motors and gearboxes and 1 vibrator. We have enough parts sitting on the shelf to rebuild 2 entire spreaders, minus the top grate and hopper its self. And 1 vibrator of course.

15. Mark Oomkes

So at what point do you start buying good spreaders?

I'm waiting to hear back about one of my POS spreaders. I ran out of money this year, otherwise I would have had a hydro spreader on it by now. Apparently that shouldn't have stopped me.

I've had a total of 4 Monroe spreaders, all hydraulic. Other than a blown hose, leaky motor seal, roller chains and 2 conveyor chains on my muni spreader in 14 years, they have been flawless.

I have learned my lesson. I will stick with what I know works.

16. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I mean that's great but man, that's a lot of money to put out to save a few bucks. At that point you may as well buy another decent used spreader for the money on the shelf and let them warranty it.

17. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Well I have to retract my statements about ESI. Spoke to him today told him the problems how I diagnosed it etc. he said no problem give me the vin number I'll have a brand new one in the mail today as well as a return label for the old one! Great help wish I could have gotten a hold of him right away. Just wanted to say thanks to you guys and a big thanks to Jim@ESI.

18. John_DeereGreen

I'd love to switch to hydraulic, but for us it's not in the cards for pickups. We don't have any dump body trucks, either.

If I could find an electric spreader that didn't cost 500 million dollars that I could count on I'd spend the money. But from the experience I've seen, spending more money doesn't equal a better product. Maybe a Swenson or Boss box would be more dependable, but there's still the what if, and parts are much much more expensive.

The next step for us will be a dedicated salt truck, like an International 4300 or Chevy/GMC 6500 with a hydraulic v box system, or an ex Municipal truck with spreader setup. That helps all the way around, cuts labor down, helps keep nicer trucks nicer and gets rid of these damn electric v boxes that I despise. Keep a v box for the oh **** situations, but do away with the rest.

It was a thought...I'd rather have parts and know that no matter what it's right there and ready if we need it. We're going to be going to a dedicated salt truck within the next 3 years, anyway.

19. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I'm a little crazy with back up stuff too, altenators for all the trucks, a couple batteries, solonoids, spare plow, spare plow motor, spare plow controllers but pretty soon I'm just gonna be a parts dealer if I keep it up, I'd rather not do that with a brand new spreader too. my trucks are all in the 10 year old range except for my pickup so I can see an altenator, plow problem etc. and I know new stuff breaks but I dont want to start stocking parts for stuff thats under warrranty. I could be wrong though...who knows? I think I've been wrong before once :)

20. John_DeereGreen

Maybe once I make the leap to hydro it'll be better, hoses and maybe a motor and that's it. I just can't bring myself to take the risk of not having parts to make it run immediately.