1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg spinner question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ford6.9, Jan 4, 2009.

1. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

So I have a 2 yard salt dogg which has been great. My only issue is that is seems like it isn't spreading the salt as far as it used to when I first got it. Is there an adjustment I can make? First few times out I could throw salt as far as i wanted to, Now its only about 12'

2. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

transformer= more voltage!

Does everything turn freely? I suppose with time motor components could wear and not perform as well, even if there was nothing binding up. I dont know squat about electric spreader motors, but if they have brushes, you could try cleaning those.

3. AOS

AOS Junior Member

With my 2 yard saltdogg the amount of salt put on spinner affects the distance the salt is thrown. It would be better if they had a more powerful spinner motor? They did have a upgrade to there auger motor which I posted pics of a few weeks back.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Good luck with a transformer on DC................

Is the spinner clean? Sometimes mine gets loaded up in the grooves and affects spreading.

5. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I am going to take a look at it tomorrow, to make sure its clean. I have noticed that the amount of salt on the spinner makes a difference on throwing distance. I may look into upgrading the motor over the summer.

6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Has the spinner assembly moved at all ?
    If you backed into something they do have some give, and will push back towards the bumper. Causing the spinner to face downward instead of upward. You can adjust it back by loosening the bolts and pulling it back out.

7. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I thought that may had been the case but I have not back into anything, I have been very careful about that.

I was wondering if there was a set screw or something that may adjust the amount of spin that's put off???

8. madcj8

madcj8 Junior Member

Have you checked the shaft coupler from the motor to the spinner? I was just trying our new SS V-box this morning and barely got a load through before the spinner was acting real lethargic. Tightened the set screws and all better!

I'm wondering if a Lovejoy style connector would help anything.