1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg spinner going backwards?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by tuney443, Dec 7, 2010.

1. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It seems to me that at least on my 1500 Salt Dogg,the spinner is going counter-clockwise which appears to be backwards.In other words,the cupped fins of the spinner does not get any material in them because it is traveling in the wrong direction.It's actually been like this from day 1 since last Dec. when I bought it new. First, the crappy digital controller,now the analog,same direction.Anybody else notice this and if mine's somehow,for whatever reason screwed up,can the wires simply be reversed to alter direction.

On another matter,I took the spinner motor off today.I can't believe the cheapness of this little plastic mating device to change gender where the front of the motor engages into the housing where the shaft is.Not only was it dry as a bone,you can clearly envision this piece will wear out in no time.I juiced it up with Fluid Film and will keep my fingers crossed.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Just reverse the wires in one of the plugs.

3. tuney443

So do you also know if clockwise is the correct rotation?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes; if you are looking at it from above.

5. tuney443

Ok-good,now 1 more question---why then has it apparently been spinning backwards from the get-go?You would think my dealer last Winter would have caught that with my controller issues.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If he wasn't looking then he wouldn't find it, it's had to notice from the cab.:D I wonder why the original installer didn't pick up on it.:confused:

It should be easy to see. Does the white wire mate up to the white wire and the black to the black at the spinner. If so maybe the OI took the cab connectors a part to run the wiring into the cab with-out making as big a hole and switched them up front when he reassembled.

7. tuney443

Well yeah,except the mechanic was checking the entire operation after I was complaining on the spread pattern plus the controller issues.Maybe I did pick up on it,I don't remember truthfully.I did the install,like I said,I bought this new last Dec.I didn't take anything apart,factory connections all the way with making that big hole,wasn't a big deal at all.Just trying to figure out then why it's running backwards.I'll check today on the wires and I will try switching them.I could swear I saw a red wire in there besides a white wire.

8. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

What is the difference in the way it throws if it's backwards? Is it supposed to catch in the cup? Or is there an advantage to it running the other way? Does it throw further or evener in one direction or the other?

9. tuney443

Well,right now it favors the driver's side big time,hardly any salt goes to the pass. side and at best ,maybe a total of a 10' spread.Just seems to me that little spinner is going way too slow even on the 10 speed.I'll report back tonight after I switch those wires and maybe put a little salt in her.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

yeah yeah red and black, sorry it was early. Same thing though make sure they are the same.

11. aron7676

aron7676 Junior Member

is it possible the wires run to the battery were hooked in wrong?

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The control box would not like that at all but if it survived then the auger would be backward too.

13. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

And it would unvibrate.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:laughing:

15. ghost

ghost Member

It should go counter clockwise

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The shaft spins counter clock wise but the spinner spins clockwise if veiwed from above (as it sits on the spreader.)

17. That confused me too. It says should spin counter clockwise when looking down into hopper. Does this mean from rear of truck or from bed looking down in?

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Rear of truck, standing on the ground.

19. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

WE bought one in oct and the contoller fried after on salt trip just bought another one for another truck it has a new controller in it
    BEWARE of the little black box behind the controller

20. tuney443

It's not the ''little black box'' you have to beware of--it's all the Chinese componentry inside it.:rolleyes: Haven't had a chance yet to switch those wires around.Anxious to see if this thing can actually lay down a decent pattern.