1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt dogg sphe 2000 problem

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 90plow, Dec 1, 2014.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

My brand new salt dogg was working great the first few runs. Then the codes started I lost speed control on the spinner and it was just going full 9. Now it's saying F in the spinner location. Not sure what other fuses there are besides the 30 amp Inlines behind the control box. Are there internal fuses?
    Now what I did was take my old control box and it still wouldn't turn my spinner so I put my old spinner on and it is working fine so any ideas????

2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Is it flashing upside down F or solid F? Flashing upside down F means you don't have the main battery positive wire hooked up or it's broken loose. Solid F means either the spinner positive wire is shorted to the frame, or the 40 amp fuse is blown in the controller.

If you swapped spinner chutes and it fixed it, did the new controller still work or no? If the new controller was working with the old spinner chute, I'd look for wiring issues after the spinner plug at the back of the truck.

3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Old controller worked only with the old spinner had a different code with the new spinner and old controller. Anything to check in the spinner housing? It's a solid F on the controller also.

4. John_DeereGreen

I suppose the motor might have shorted somehow. You might take the cover off and make sure there's no bare wires anywhere around the motor on the spinner housing.

Or the curse of the Salt Dogg controller has bitten again.

I would start with the new spinner and make sure that it works if hooked directly to 12V + and -. If that works, then I'd be suspect of the new controller being bad or the fuse inside being blown. If that doesn't work, there's something wrong with your spinner motor or wiring on the new spinner.

Hearing that the old controller and old spinner work correctly, I think it's safe to say that you've eliminated the wiring harness on the truck as an issue. It's either in your spinner motor or short wiring to the plug, or the new controller.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

If it's brand new I wouldn't do s***. I'd take it back to the dealer and let him worry about it. It's still under warranty. Not your problem.

6. John_DeereGreen

Kind of hard to diagnose and repair in the middle of the night in the future if you just take it to the dealer and let them look at it. Might as well learn how to diagnose and fix issues yourself and then let the dealer fix it after you find the problem.

7. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Yea that and most dealers are backed up quite a bit around here. Going to mess with it tonight will get back to you guys. Thanks!

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

In an emergency situation couldn't you just have an on off switch? My friend had a electric ice o way and he just had it hooked up to a heavy amp switch.Only full speed though,he metered it with the gate,or drove faster! I hate when new things break:angry:

9. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I hate the way my new (2014) 2 yard salt dogg spreads. All the salt goes to the drivers side. The only smart thing I did was keep my karrier controller. Do you have the same problem with the spread pattern?

10. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Yea I think salt build up on that stupid deflector did something. I pulled the controller apart bith 40 amp fuses are fine. Pulled the spinner motor cover off and no wires to be seen. I can't figure it. And to boot something killed my batteries in my truck to the point where the interior lights won't come on!

11. John_DeereGreen

Yep, we've done that too as a last resort. You waste some salt, but it's better than the alternative of no salt at all.
    All of ours did that. Do you have the new style spinner chute or the old one? If you have the new one, I won't be of any help because I haven't messed with one of them yet.
    Something killed your batteries? Run a continuity test on the harness. It might be shorting out randomly...

12. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I'm hoping the batteries were just on their way out. Any wiring diagram for hot wiring the salt dogg spreader without using the control box? I've had to do it on smaller salters but they were easy.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Power and grounds all sourced right from the battery?

14. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Yes I put a new thread up in the snow dogg section. Very disappointed with the way ESI has handled my problems.

15. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

John Deere green... The chute is the older style( plastic) and the spinner turns clockwise. It does appear that the salt is hitting the disk behind away from truck and to the drivers side of the spinner shaft.. Any ideas

16. John_DeereGreen

We cut notches in our chutes to help the salt hit it in the right spot. From what I've found (dry bulk rock salt) it needs to hit about 2 inches behind the spinner shaft, between 12 and 2 o'clock to get the most even spread pattern. That puts it about 60% drivers, 40% passengers side.

I remember seeing a thread somewhere were a guy made aluminum "fins" and bolted them onto the spnner fins to extend them out and it seemed to help him with distance, AFTER he got his pattern decent.

17. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

any pictures of the notches in the chute ?Any pictures of new style chute?

18. John_DeereGreen

There's a thread somewhere on here showing the notches. All those spinners are in Athens and I'm not there to take pictures.

If you look at your spinner, you'll see what I'm describing.