1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt dogg slides around any suggestions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by greenleaf22, Jan 3, 2010.

1. greenleaf22

greenleaf22 Junior Member

I have salt dogg 2000 any sugestions on best way to keep it from slidding up towards cab its tied down good but still slide back

2. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

build a wooden frame out of 2x4's and plywood this will hold it stable and still have a smooth surface to put mag or calcium on

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

you didn't say if it was tied down at the back but on my electrics i buy some stake pocket mounts , put them at the rear pocket and use that as a tie down keeps ours from sliding back...(if i am understanding your question)
    steve

4. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

did you build the wooden frame they suggest in the installation instructions? I built it and strapped the spreader securely with the two straps they gave me plus one each on the back corners going down, plus one big strap from mid-bed stake pocket around the back of the spreader to the other pocket. Spreader does not move a half inch even when loaded with 4k+ lbs.

5. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

get better straps rated for a higher load weight. The 3 inch wide straps work great for our guys and they never move!

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You or your installer didn't read the manual.That 2x6 framework+ the little 2x4 detail is a very good idea--somebody's installer here didn't do that and they had to replace his rear window.I used all 4 of the supplied 3'' straps criss-crossed + 2 more crossed going to my rear hold down eyes.Always check for tightness.

7. mws399LAWN

mws399LAWN Member

I had the problem of it sliding from side to side when i took the mat out of the bed but when the bed mat was in there it didnt slide at all, but i never had it slide forward

8. Gary @ Shamrock

Gary @ Shamrock Junior Member

Sliding Saltdogg

I have the 1.5 poly Saltdogg with the recommended wooden frame. It stays still front to back, but slid side to side. I slid in a 4x4 on each side and that stopped. You might also want to check that they put the straps in correct.

Cheers,
    Gary @ Shamrock Landscaping

9. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

i have a stainless spreader in a pickup. I cross four straps, so that they pull against each other.

I also placed a ratchet cargo bar in front of the spreader to keep it from slamming forward into the cab. Its worked for the past three seasons.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Throw a pallet in front of it, if you don't want to build a stop as the instructions suggest.

11. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I drill holes through the bed and bolt them in. And I have a 2009 2500 HD but I got tired of wondering if the spreaders were tight. 3 years now doing this and no problems. I was squeamish at first about the holes but I got over it.

12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you might stop to think how it is that you are strapping it down. i have seen so many people that put straps on that will only hold the spreader from going outthe back. depending on yoru set up, cross the straps if needed so they all pull against each other