1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg SHPE1500

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Grasshackers, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Grasshackers

Grasshackers Junior Member

Hi Guys,

I am currently considering purchasing a new salt dogg spreader. I was wondering if anyone has these and what the pros and cons are? Thanks.
  2. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

I love mine, its been great. I have an older model so I dont know if there any cons on the newer models
  3. Grasshackers

Thank you. I appreciate it!
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Good solid unit at a fair price.
  5. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

It's a pretty well built model, I have one that we've been running for the last 4 years. The controls are easy to fine tune to the conditions, spread pattern is even. my biggest complaint is that when it gets really cold, say below 15 degrees, the salt does not flow worth a s***. it will drive you to drink. If it's in the teens or below- trust me, don't go anywhere without a ground rod or a similar stick to poke the salt down, even with the vibrator on. Warm temperatures or extremely dry bulk salt and its my favorite of our spreaders but in very cold conditions or wet salt I want to set it on fire. Just my 2 cents from my experience.
  6. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Good spreaders I just bought my second one. Buy the 2 yard model easier resale bigger hopper and you can put less salt in a bigger salter but you can't put more salt in the smaller one. Plus it's only a few hundred difference in price. Good luck!
  7. Grasshackers

Thanks guys I early appreciate it. Im going to call the dealers around me and see what kind of prices they have on them tomorrow.
  8. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

What he said. Exactly what he said. Can't complain too much about mine at all
  9. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Dexter Company, Bucyrus, OH. Kevin Peacock, 419.528.9819. Tell him Jarrett told you to call.
  10. Grasshackers

Okay thanks, ill call him today.
  11. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

What are you putting it into? If an f150, it will be a little heavy for it, if a 3/4 ton truck you'll be fine, but with how it holds the 1.5 yards of salt, closer to the rear or the truck, you could use a 2 yard spreader that distributes the weight better and holds more obviously.

a shpe1500 is about $3200-3600 depending on your dealer/location. Spend the extra money and go with something like a 2 yard boss vbx or at very least the shpe2250 model, with better motors etc. The 1.5 saltdogg isn't bad for one or two seasons, but controllers suck, wiring sucks and spinner motors all go bad.. just not worth if.
  12. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I like mine just fine. Paid 3K for it.
  13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Completely agree.Buyers uses the very cheapest wire,motors,connectors and their engineering of a decent spread pattern is SERIOUSLY flawed.I have a 1500 and it only works now because I've either changed or enhanced the components.
  14. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

My 1500 has been great even tho its an older model, I just replaced the sinner motor this year after 7 years of hard work.
  15. Grasshackers

Thanks guys I appreciate all the feed back. I went with the 1500, got it all wired up today. This is my first year spreading bulk material and didn't want to invest to much into it. If everything goes well I will be looking at other ones in the future. Its going in a Dodge 2500 with airbags on the rear so weight isn't an issue.
  16. grassmaster06

grassmaster06 Senior Member

I love mine .had it for 2 seasons now and and 180 tons trough it.just take care of it and keep the electrical connections clean and dielectric grease.every now and then take an air compressor and electrical cleaner to maintain those connections .i have the 2 yard model and even added side boards to keep salt from spilling into the truck
  17. Grasshackers

Thanks, Im real big an preventive maintenance, so this week I'm going to fluid film whatever i think will need it, and I will use diaelectric grease on it, i use dielectric grease on the plow plugs after each use.
  18. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Kevin take care of you or did you find a deal closer?
  19. Grasshackers

Kevin gave me a good price, but he didn't have one in stock I believe, and he's 2 hrs from me, picked mine up for 3200, half hour from me. Thank you though I appreciate it
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

LOL, seems so simple, yet they can't seem to get it right.

The UTG spreader pattern isn't worth a crap either.

I can't wait until I have the funds for more real salt spreaders. Hydraulic all the way.

I have 2 electric, and they have been nothing but flaming POS. Compared to hydraulic, that is.