1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg SHPE1500 Spreader

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by CGM Inc., Jan 10, 2009.

1. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Is anyone using them? Any insight?
    Considering of getting one myself.
    What is good? Any problems?

2. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

We love our 2 Yd poly electric SaltDogg.
    Always empty the hopper when finished, and clean after using and you will enjoy it for many years. Oh and also do not neglect the grease zerk on the bottom.

3. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck Member

i have 2 of the 2 yds too love them will hold about 2 1/2 to 3 ton of salt i stick mine in the garage loaded for next storm low maintnance 1 greese fitting love them

4. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

Thanks for the input! That sounds pretty good!
    What truck do you have them on?
    Sounds pretty heavy to go on a 1 ton?

5. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

I just got the 1.5 yd spreader on my 2500hd. So far I like it, just trying to get used to it. I put some sand/salt in there and it didnt come out as well as I would have hoped. But with just salt it worked fine. Got it for $3040 from Millsupply.com. Shipping was $250. I got prices of 3900+ installed locally.

6. Al F

Al F Junior Member
    from NH

i just bought the 1500 yesterday and will install today...i finallized my choice after finding this place a few days ago...so thanks to all who have written before me.

In fact aside from helping me choose *not* to buy a tailgate spreade i was able to deduce that this model was the final choice.

I was wondering how your alternator handled things...what is your amerpage rating on your vehicle's alternator?

as far as the weight question on these things..i also was suprised that they mention it can go on a 3/4 or 1 ton...afterall a plow could weigh 500 and up, the model 1500 is another 520 and then your sand or salt or mix can add another 1-3000 pounds depending on how full it is.....so at minimum when using we are at 1-2 tons...so we are over the top of teh rating

7. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Since the weight is squarely in the truck bed, you can use your vehicle's cargo weight capacity to determine how full you "can" fill your spreader. I don't know too many guys who load their spreaders 2/3 full though...

A plow is hung WAY in front of the front axle, so it's a VERY different ballgame. An SHPE1500 makes great ballast for a SnowDogg plow... :)

Scott Moorman
    BPC / SnowDogg

8. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

We mainly use the spreader in the Crew Cab 2500hd, although we purchased an additional wiring harness for our Extra Cab 2500hd just for a backup...
    It does an ok job of handling the weight (btw, we have airbags installed) and our Ice Slicer supply is centrally located within our sanding route so not a great deal of travel time with full loads...

9. Al F

Al F Junior Member
    from NH

thank you ...we installed the 1500 in just a matter of about 3 hours with no rushing involved...and i must say it was pretty darn easy and straight forward...i think the engineers did a very good job overall regarding ease of install, design and appearance...full operation will be my next test(hopefully tomorrow, but as for today...it vibrated, augered and spun at the very first and every subsequent press of the button or turn of the dial

one design feature that could be improved upon is the nut placement on top of the box where the screen is attached....if you lift up the screen to bolt the four bolts that help hold the screen to the box, you have to have it on the one position that will align the four holes...IF the engineers would make it so that no matter which way you pick up the screen (especially if you are alone when lifting) then all four bolt holes would line up.....its a small thing but its a big thing when its night time and you have to remove the screen and you have precipitation coming down...you dont want to load it up by yourself, then climb up only to find you have to swing the whole thing around.....from looking at the box where the 4 nuts are in fixed position it *appears* that they can be placed anywhere the engineers want..so it is an easy fix

i liked the fact that something as simple as making a tarp that actually conforms and comes down over the four sides w rounded corners was provided.....a cheaper way and less appropriate way would have been to just have a flat tarp...Salt Dogg did not go the cheap rout..

One other thing i would like in the future might be a remote control instead of the wire to control..just a personal preference

I have a 105 amp alternator and the specs implied the need for a 135 amp alt...so i was concerned, but did not see any big draw..certainly a LOT a REAL LOT LESS than my Sno-Way plow puts on my system

10. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

For the most aprt I am very happy w/ my Salt Dogg 1500. HOWEVER, I have alist of things that have gone wrong or wheren't quite rite.
    #1. I bought it in Spring on clearance from a dealer. They kept them outside. All the important components are in a plastic bag in the hopper w/ each unit. Mine, somehow the bag got a hole in it and the controllers' box was sopping wet(to the point of falling apart). So, from the get-go I figured this couldn't be good. I quickly returned and exchanged it.
    #2. Its 2 years old now and this Fall when I put it back in the truck, I discovered the spinner motor was bad. (oh, darn, just out of warranty) I know many on here who have run 40 Ton thru there's w/ no real problem. I ran about 28 Ton thru mine in 1 year-whats up with that?!! I even kept mine stored inside the garage on a pallet all summer
    So, a new spinner motor ran me ~$156. I took the old 1 to a motor rebuilder and they said it needed brushes-one of which wasn't even touching. So, $38 later I have rebuilt spinner motor as back-up. Cheap, Chinese made piece of sh@^!
    #3. BTW the dealer whom I bought it from is now out of business so, I have little recourse for trying to get someone to stand behind the product THEY sold me

Other than that, I love the salter. Its lite. It normally throws just about anything. The vibrator works great-empties completely. I especially like it that you can easily take off the spinner if you have to tow something. I do think they could have done something better for plug covers when not in use. Mine both, snapped off in the cold and didn't stay on when they where there.
    Somebody at Buyers should make some kind of spinner protector as an option.
    They could have done something better for the tie down points that are actually on the spreader (especially the back corner 1's) I currently use the inner lip of my bed rail.
    I think the auger motor is a little underpowered, but understand they have an upgrade available. $$$$

11. Al F

Al F Junior Member
    from NH

Excellent point...the ones i saw were also stored outside and the kep component box was inside the hopper exposed to the elements...how ridiculous that was i thought..i forgot until you mentioned it

and you are right about those orange plug covers...they are sub par...dear Snow Dogg engineers, you can improve on them, they are too frail for the environment they endure..i had one break today as well

thank you for pointing these things out, i believe it is important for Buyer to hear these things because i do believe they have a very good product overall......i will not be a 20 ton guy w this machine,m but a few will go thru...and for the price ( a good price) i do expect to have several trouble free years

i will report in for the good of the future buyer and for the good of the company itself

12. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

Glad this thread is going well, I guess I will buy one as well.
    Not much of a point currently since salt to spread is hard to come by right now...

13. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck Member

i run one in a 3/4 ton dodge there is a picture on here being it is for sale under 2001 dodge ram 2500 i have 2500 lbs helpers on the truck and i can put 2 1/2 ton in my 2 yard models the other is in my one ton dump truck not a heavy salter at all they are great

14. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I got mine in the beginning of Jan this year and have run probably 6-8 ton through it so far.
    Here are a few problems (minor as they are, still problems)
    1.) the straps were too short to reach from the front tie down in the truck to the back tie down on the spreader.
    2.) my controller was also in the hopper the box soaking wet, but it still works to my surprise. Oh and my hat is ruined as well since it was in the same package if you wanted to send me a new one.
    3.) The tarp hold downs that hook to the spreader are cheap and have had 2 break already. A few replacements would be nice.
    4.) I also agree about the plug covers. They are a cheap thought of a cover. Maybe something heavy duty like Western has would be nice.
    5.) I have a stripped out (from the factory) screw insert for the top screen hold down. Anyway to fix / replace that?
    Ok now that I am done bashing, I wish I would have bought this a few years ago. Works great, one person (me) can load it with my forklift no problem, the variable controls for the auger and spinner are a good match and the built in vibrator keeps things flowing smoothly.ussmileyflag

15. 122fox

122fox Member

If i could buy mine again i would get the one with a stainless steel chute and spinner not the plastic one, tried to get parts from supplier that sold spreader to me and all they have is stainless steel parts.

16. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

17. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

I just got my 2 yard spreader on today and put it to first use tomorrow morning bright and early.
    Looks like a very nice set-up and great bang for the $$$
    Got a load of salt (clearlane) along with it which was perfect at tight times!

18. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

What kind of settings do you Guys run on the Auger and Spinner when you are out there?
    I did OK with 5-6 on the Auger and 5-7 on the spinner.

19. 122fox

122fox Member

Has anyone took out the baffles inside hopper to keep salt from freezing to them?? has it messed with the flow of salt at all, I also have noticed that treated salt ( wet salt ) is on spread half as far as dry product.

20. J.Haynes

J.Haynes Junior Member

I run my auger on 4 and spinner on 10. I've put about 60 ton through it. Only issue i have had is my truck sits outside and had salt freeze in it. took 45 mins. to take screen off and free it up.