1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg SHPE1500 Spread Pattern

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Grasshackers, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Grasshackers

Grasshackers Junior Member

Okay, so as a previous thread said I got a new salt dog SHPE1500 this season, it got a work out last night, ended up putting 15 ton thru it in 8 hrs. But I noticed the spread pattern sucked. I tried adjusting the plastic shroud, different spinner and auger speeds still the same result a 3-4' wide path of melted snow but thats it, anybody have any suggestions or experience with the new plastic shrouds on the spinner?

2. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I removed the shroud and built a deflector for mine. It cured the path of salt but expect it to favor spreading to the drivers side.

3. Grasshackers

Thanks, I was considering removing it and building a deflector for it. Ill probably try that.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Heard lots of complaints about the new shrouds. A lot of guys are taking them off. I've got the older style. They do spread heavy to the driver's side, but that's something you can work around and not a big deal.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I hear backing into a pole helps with the spread pattern. Thumbs Up

6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

We've got a new one in Athens, was new for the storm yesterday. After the first lot they tore the plastic shield off and fixed 95% of the issues. I guess they're going to build a deflector like what's on the old ones.

7. Grasshackers

We moved the spinner up on the shaft (it was on the lower hole) and adjusted the shield. Seemed to throw better. Gonna try it out next storm, hopefully run another 15 ton thru it. Next step is to remove the shield and make a metal one, like the old style.

8. Grasshackers

Haha I bet it does, I would kick myself if i did that. Thats why I mounted a camera to the back of the spreader.