1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg SHPE 2250 Stand

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by nboeger4, Jan 12, 2014.

1. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

So I decided to go ahead and make a stand for my SHPE 2250. My shop neighbor has a forklift I can use but its a little more of a hassle then its worth and I hate asking for favors all of the time. So I went ahead and built this. I loaded and unloaded it 3 times the day I built it as I was making a few changes. Works really well. Super easy to load and unload alone. It is also very easy to move around the shop.

You will see in one of the pictures the "jack" stands I made for the off season. I was a little concerned that a good percentage of the weight was on the front tires. (FYI the spreader doesn't have fork holes in the 4th support or I would have made this stand bigger.) I am more worried about tearing up the tires then it falling.

If anyone is interested in building one of these let me know and I can try to post some more pics/info. I built it alone in a little over 4 hrs and I don't have a carpenter background. lol.

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Is that that much heavier than a 2000? We just slide them out and stand them up against the wall

3. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

if your worried about the tires falling off, maybe see if there plastic tires in that size ??? Looks good!!

4. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

The 2250 is about 300 lbs heaver then the 2000 according to salt doggs manuals. I think it would be a struggle to take it out with two guys and sit it up.

Actually I was going to go with plastic wheels for this reason. However part of the shop floor in the back isn't finished. So the terrain is a little rough. I figured the pneumatic tires would handle that better in the off season. I'm not so worried about them falling off as just rotting out from sitting so long with the weight in one place.

5. snowremoval4les

snowremoval4les Member

I have been talking about making one of those for mine, as my salter goes in my 08 250 with a little 3 inch lift, it's a hassle getting it up there even with 3 people. I wouldn't mind seeing some more building pics or info if you have any. Awesome set up by the way. Is that a 3 yard salt dogg?

6. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

It is the 2.25 yd. I will see if I can snap a few more pics today or tomorrow. It would be fairly easy to build for the average person. Also if you weren't trying to roll it around like mine you could probably get by with 4x4 posts instead of the 6x6. The metal plate on the caster wheels was to large to mount to the 4x4s.

7. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

How? I put ours in myself lol. Stand it up on the spinner end. Slide it around. Put the other end in truck and pick it up and slide it in

8. snowremoval4les

snowremoval4les Member

Cool. Thanks! I'll look into making one cause now i keep the salter in all the time, it'd be nice to be able to take it out and put it back in without going through more of a hassle than needed

I can't stand my salter up because the motor box. The spinner comes off but the motor box is still there. You can kind of see it in this picture below. And, the guy before me put sides on it and some other pieces to be able to hang a walk behind spreader and a snow blower.

image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

You can stand it on the motor box. Just take spinner off. We have same spreader. No sideboards though

10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Looks cool. Now you just need to patent the idea quick.

11. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I think the cart may out weigh the salter haha. Looks good though for some backyard engineering. I have the 2000 I lift my dump body tip the salter in then take a strap from the salter to the headache rack on the body and as I lower the body the salter lifts up then I slide it in. They do get each to move I've rolled mine on its side before.

12. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

So when you slide it out of the truck it falls onto the auger housing? I don't see how standing it up works since that's the first thing to hit the ground, hard , but hey w/e

13. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

No...

You don't hit the ground hard with anything. Nice and easy. Ain't rocket science.

Just slide it out of truck and tilt it up in the air. Itll be sitting on the housing then. Nothing will bend. We do the same thing for the poly casters

The only time I've ever seen one bend was one someone back the spinner into a pole lol

14. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

For those of you that wanted pics I haven't forgotten. I was sick most of last week and been busy catching up. Let me see what I can get later this week.