1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg SHPE 2000

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rpainetfd, Feb 17, 2009.

1. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

I have not seen one of these units hands on, but from the research on this site alot of people like them. I have seen the post of the poly that cracked. I like the fact of a poly box and stainless spinner. I talked to a dealer yesterday that told me the auger and related parts are all regular steel and rust very easy. Is this true, and what do you guys think of this unit? I am thinking of getting rid of an Air Flo Stainless gas powered for this unit....reason being, electric and weight. I would like to be able to talk the spreader out between storms, but the stainless gas is very heavy. Thanks.
  2. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

400 tons through both of mine and no rust to speak of. Everything is poly or stainless, even the bolts. The only mild steel there is the top grate and I think the auger. No problems at all with them. I highly recommend!!! The only thing I can say that might be bad is clumpy salt has issues going through the openings. But yet any spreader has this problem to an extent.
  3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I would say I am pushing around or over 300 tons threw my shpe2000, the auger has yet to rot off the spreader. I do use some fluid film on it, but only a couple times a year.
    Replaced the auger motor in Jan, and the thing just keeps working, with no BS to deal with.
    Just think nothing to scrape, strip and paint every year.
    No chains to play with, and soak in buckets of oil every spring.
    No broken frozen cables. No dead gas motors, or starting fluid when its -5.
    Its a good unit, and for pickups I honestly think its the best unit out there.
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I was going to get one, but since i am getting the dump insert and spreader attachement I am not, But If I was not getting the insert I would go with the salt dogg hands down. Only heard great things about it for the last 3 years.
  5. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I strongly believe these are the best spreaders for the money hands down!!
  6. equinn2005

equinn2005 Junior Member

The Salt Dogg Poly Unit is a good unit i have seen them hands on and had a chane to run them hands on i dont have one myself but i have friends that have them and i help them out with them when they need me to help with their jobs or problems with unit. This unit is very light weight and approx 4 people can lift in and out fo a vehicel and its quick to unhook and hook up yes the parts are steel and will rust but they will alst as long as you wash it after each storm, if u need parts i heard angelos has parts in stock.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The steel parts are all stainless except for the auger, topscreen and the bearing housings, the the rest may corrode but will not "rust." If I was going to criticize anything about the unit it would be the quality of the plug protectors. they do not stay on when the unit is not on the truck but a lot of Di-electric grease will handle that.
  8. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

Thank you for all for your feedback. I want to add a different line of questions now that you have all given positive feedback on the rust/corrosion issue. I run a 5 to 1 sand/salt mixture for my accounts (straight salt is not that popular in my area). How well will that unit spread with the baffles opened right up? My material is stored under cover so it is "dry" but obviously heavier that straight salt. Will the auger and electic motors hold up? Thanks
  9. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I run between 20-25% salt in my sand/salt mix. It works great but you do need to run the vibrator all of the time (at least I need do). This is my first year so I dont know how well the motors will hold up.
  10. Puddlejumper

Puddlejumper Member

Sorry to highjack this thread. Hey turf do you know who the Salt Dogg Distributor is in the cities? I have to order some parts and bought mine used. I went to the website but do not like it when a company requires my info to find a distributor who sells their product.

Also who are you getting your sand and salt from (if that is not to personal)?

Highjack over. We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.
  11. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Order from angelos in michigan. They have everything for them.
  12. Puddlejumper

Puddlejumper Member

As Angelo's explained it to me last week. They do not stock Snow "stuff" in the summer. It was hit and miss last week when I made my last order with them. I am hoping that we have a little more of a summer presence with a local distributor. I do thank you for the assist though, I love Angelos.
  13. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

We have both gas and shpe 2000's; so far as most mention..good product; although motor removable chute and covers should be stainless as well, JMO. We had a few bugs to iron out and maybe this will help others.
    1.) the engineers should increase the pitch in the mold to allow materials to flow easier to the baffles in front part of spreader. Our fix was to raise the unit 5" in front by fabrication(the unit doesn't move)
    2.) the screen should be divided and on hinges to access the auger if need be(6 bolts, not fun in the cold if something should jamb)
    3.) two vibrators would be best for sand (our sand is covered, so not an issue)
    We are satisfied as most with these units, we have three as of now.
    Good luck!
    Try rh scales in Springfield, not to far from you.