1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg Shpe 2000 slow to spread salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by zukofsu, Oct 7, 2013.

1. zukofsu

zukofsu Junior Member
    from MD

I have 3 salt dogg shpe 2000 spreaders and they do not seem to salt fast or far enough. Last year the salt was mainly dry and stored inside.

I have these spreaders in 3 different trucks for ease of changing between the trucks. Tried karrier controller after digital one had issues, but this did not help.

Typically, I need to spread 8+ tons per truck on a standard treatment. While this spreader is great for some, it is not working in my situation.

Spoke with a local salt dogg dealer who informed me that the auger is too small on shpe2000 and recommends the 2250 (5.25" diameter auger vs 2"). Also, the auger on the 2250 goes the entire length of the box and should help emptying it. (so the dealer tells me) I have no experience with that model.

The problem is the time it takes to empty the spreader (20-30minutes) even on the highest setting. Also, it seems to spread the salt with almost a "rainbow" type effect. I have tried adjusting the baffles, removing the baffles, and flipping the baffles over.

I am looking into to either a gas or electric with a "chain" / "conveyor" drive.

Does anyone have experience with a conveyor type spreader or the larger auger spreader? This would be for large commercial areas only with the ability to spread 8+ tons in a timely manner.

2. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Ours does the same thing great spreader but it doesn't spread what they say it will spread 30 feet there is no way we are lucky to do 12-15 feet in the best of conditions and it is slow they will tell you to adjust the spreader but the adjustments never make it any better

3. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

2yd

You can only run clean salt, "not bagged" Just clean salt. Take the plates out of the auger area. Batteries and altinators seem to make a differance with how much power you get to the spreader. Mine takes 12 to 15 minutes to unload, any longer and there is a issue. They do spread more to the right.
    :nod:I get 20' to 25' spread from clean salt, 12' to 15' with sand salt mix and it bridges or clogges a bit.
    Not the fastest spreaders, BUT as I have learned you can only go so fast in a parking lot anyway SAFETLY! Also the plug in connections are VERY important to the rpm of running them. Even with a heavy duty altinator you have to keep the rpms up, to get MAX spreading.
    Besides that I love my Doggs. I have 2 and elecrtic is the only way to go.