1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt dogg poly

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by home rescue, Jan 22, 2008.

1. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

:redbounce:redbounce:redbounce Just ordered my salt dogg poly spreader. 2 yd model. ships tomorrow, should be here in 2 days. Getting tired of shoveling 3 tons plus a night. will probably sell fisher 1000 model with hitch and swing away mount with variable speed control and vibrator.

2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I finally saw one in person today........that will be my buy for next season

3. haulin87

haulin87 Junior Member

Who did you order from? I've seen some pretty good deals on the Poly SaltDogg spreaders and heard good things about them!

4. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Congrats on the new buy! You will absolutely love it! :bluebounc I purchased two 2yders this year also. Angelos supplies in Michigan is where I got them. Best price and two days shipping! Very nice people also. My freight was only like $195! for both.
    I now look at guys with bags and think, how in the world did we do that!? :eek: Now salting is so easy and you get to stay warm and dry.payup

5. dmontgomery

So I guess shipping on one would be $100......

6. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I think it would be more like around 150? They double stacked mine to keep it cheaper.

7. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Never leave salt in them ever! this morning I had to go out and salt went out and realized one of my empolyees left 1.4 tons of salt in it for 3 days hard as a rock it was terrible me and my dad spent an hour in the spreader busting it up with and spud bar and shoveling it out never again I will check every night to make sure it is empty even the auger was solid as a rock I turned on the vibe and auger and cranked the shaft with a pair of channel locks I am beat

8. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

JRS
    That SUCKS! I had to do that earlier this winter, but it was from being so cold and the salt was only in there for about 2 hours. Mine was not as bad as you described, but I feel your pain.:rolleyes:

9. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

they quoted me 140.00 for shipping here to wv. I bought it from angelos. they had 2 left so I pulled the trigger, wanted the smaller one but they said no more of them for this year. I actually decided to buy now instead of next year cause I'm losing to much time not having one. I have a steel box in the back of the truck and shovel into a tailgate spreader. taking a minimum of 45 to 50 minutes to salt a 2 acre lot this way. You wouldn't believe how much money I lost yesterday with an 1/2 to 3/4 inch snow with rain on top of it at 38 degrees. Customers calling wanting salted and just couldn't get to them quick enough. I need to stop spending money,but when your losing money and losing face with customers what are you going to do. They pay us for dependable service. My theory is the better you are the more valuable you are to your customer base.

10. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

That sounds about right! You will be amazed how much time you will save. I find myself getting done and thinking "Man, did I forget somebody?" Running two trucks with them, we get 16 accounts done in a hour to hour and a half. With my tailgate spreaders, it was more like 3 hours. And I am warm, dry, and not beat from loading bags.:)

11. dmontgomery

I have heard that running a garden hose in them will free up the salt.......might be worth a try next time....

12. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I was thinking about runing the garden house but I had almost a ton and a galf all the way to the rock hard worse then rock hard thank god for the spud bar but I am still sore to this day

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We used a tip I learn here on the site yesterday, mixed 20 lbs of calcium chloride with 2 gallon of water and dumped it over the load. Thawed it right out.

14. dmontgomery

is calcium chloride a liquid I assume??? Where do you get that??

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No it's a crystal or a flake but it disovles quickly in water. many bagged ice melts are calcium based.

16. dmontgomery

ok makes sense.......

17. evertonyardcare

evertonyardcare Junior Member
    from ny

thank you for all of the good info out there but what I really want to know is how good
    is the Byers tail gate spreaders rated- I am going to pick it up 40 miles from my the unit
    cost 900 and holds 600lbs of material:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

18. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

The tailgate units are allright no where near as nice as the salt dogg I have an 800 low pro I might sell used one season I am thinking about buying another salt dogg

19. dmontgomery

I will be buying a Salt Dogg for next season.......I will have Snowex 575 for sale........

20. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Was your salt wet or damp ? If not did you have the cover on ?
    The reason I'm asking is, I always leave salt in it and never had a problem with it freezing.