1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt dogg new elec. 2yd poly

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by craftmasters, Dec 2, 2009.

1. craftmasters

craftmasters Junior Member

i just bought a new salt dogg 2yd electric spreader and putting it in my 2005 chevy silverado 2500 hd i have a boss 8 1/2 rt3 smart hitch 2 on it also. Do you think with a full spreader of salt this will be to much for this truck? let me know

2. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I presume you have the 6.0l engine. The truck will have no problems. I have the same truck it does just fine. Timbrens are needed in the front, if anything is required. Good luck and enjoy!

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No you will be fine.

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

How does everyone like their Salt Dogg? I am planning on picking one up, but having some doubts as my local dealer said he won't sell them anymore, and they had problems with them. What kind of issue has everyone out here had with theirs.

5. craftmasters

craftmasters Junior Member

yea this is my second plow i switched from meyer to the boss and love it i have my bars cranked up in the front but yea i went from a tailgate spreader from buyers to this new in-bed elec poly and so far the install and everything is great i havnt a a storm to really use it yet.
    thanks!

6. Allor Outdoor

Allor Outdoor Senior Member

I have run a few 2 yard Salt Doggs for the past few years and have had good luck! Would NEVER consider going back to a gas v-box! The vibrator on the unit can be annoying because it is loud, and it sounds like it is shaking the hell out of bin, but it works great!

The only problem I have ever had with it was when some salt clumped up on me and got wedged down by the auger...I didn't know it, and I kept running the machine...it eventually just snapped the bolt that spins the auger....a PITA to fix.
    From time to time the red light on the in-cab control box will light up and say the unit is "jammed" but if you turn the spinner down and the auger up, it typically works itself out.
    I've run these and also the gas powered V-box's and these are A LOT easier...there is only 1 grease fitting to worry about....no concern about gas, oil, engine not starting, etc!

Considered purchaing the bigger 4yard machine, but decided to try out some liquid before spening $7000 on a 4yd new v-box!

Hope this helps!

7. miller time

miller time Junior Member
    from midwest

Just bought two today thought they were reasonably priced should be here next week. Sounds like they are solid product. And yes i would not care so much for workin out the jam in the auger compared to the ol gas spreaders.