1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SALT DOGG just wont spread right!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by HardCor, Jan 7, 2010.

1. HardCor

HardCor Junior Member

The company I work for has had a Salt Dogg 1400550SSH 4.5yd. hydraulic driven spreader now for 4yrs. Last year the chute and spinner were damage during removal of the spreader. We replaced the chute and spinner but now we cant get it to spread correctly. We have adjusted the baffles in all positions, had the controller reprogrammed and have tried that in just about every combination of conveyor speed and spinner speed. The repair facility nearby told us that it is installed correctly and that they dont know why it is doing that. ANY IDEAS??? It spreads primarily to the drivers side with very little throwing to the passenger side, it actually comes out in a stream of salt about 45 degrees from center to the drivers side. We are wasting tons of salt. PLEASE any ideas or suggestions. Thought maybe the conveyor chain is too far forward. INSIGHT PLEASE.:dizzy::cry::help:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I have to remember that not everyone is a landscaper here, but check it out like you would a fertilizer spreader. It could very well be that something is twisted of misaligned just a hair. A fraction of an inch could make a difference. I suspect there is some sort of partial blockage or something is misaligned. If it is hanging in the spinner too long, the material needs to be released either further toward the outer edge or farther back in the rotational cycle of the spinner. I could see how a misaligned chain could alter where the material is placed in the spinner. All else fails get in touch with buyers engineers.

3. HardCor

HardCor Junior Member

Thanks ShovelRacer. I will get in touch with them this week. Just wanted to see if anyone here had any suggestions. Thanks again!:cool:

4. HTI

HTI Member

We purchased a 2 yd. this Dec. and have the exact same problem. Doesn't spread to the passenger side.

5. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

We have a 1.5 yard Salt Dogg. It used to spread just about perfect, but now it spreads more to the passengers side. I think there has been to many snow piles jumping out at me. I'm going to call salt dogg to see what the correct angle of the spinner shaft should be.

6. broncscott

broncscott Senior Member

Is it possible the hydraulic lines were reversed and the spinner is running backwards?

7. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

sounds to me like the material is falling to far out on the spinner causing most of the material to be thrown to the drivers side.

James

8. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Yup. That is exactly it. Where the material falls and lands on the spinner determines the spread. Maybe the Chain is to fast causing the material to fall farther from the end of the chain? Otherwise the spinner is to close to the end of the chain.

9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

When you changed the chute did you get a new spinner as well? Different number or angle of fins? Different diameter? Could make a difference as well. In my expierience most spreaders favor the drivers side, thus the operator can better see what he's spreading, and since we drive in the right side of a lane he's also more likely to not be hitting too many things he shouldn't.

10. HardCor

HardCor Junior Member

With all the freezing we have had I havnt been able to call Buyer's yet to determine a cause. I know it is suppose to spread primarily to the driver side but this is a stream to the drivers side. I will post Buyers solution to this problem as soon as I get their answer. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!
    :cool: