1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg for sand

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 2COR517, Oct 13, 2009.

1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Anyone ever used a Salt Dogg for sand? What kind of luck did you have?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Thank you sir for posting those links to the very informative marketing info from Salt Dogg.

I was (and still am) hoping for some hands on testimonial. As we all know, there can be a significant difference between advertised ability and real world success

4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

My friend uses one. It"s a 2 yard gas. We plow for the state they give us sand salt mix . It works well for him.I have only seen it clog one time in 3 years. Wish my Myers worked that good

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Is that an auger type, or bed chain? Thinking about the auger style.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have ran a little sand out of mine. Need to open the gates all the way. If you want stop by:rolleyes: and we'll go throw a little sand with it.

7. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

2Core,

I have ran these units with good success; a few suggestions that may help in your decision making process.

Always use the cover, regardless of distance between.
    Not to use wet sand,
    I have outfitted one of our trucks with a higher amp alternator; with the lights and plow accessories it was" IMO" best suited; the spreader performs better than our other truck with same accessories; seems to get the proper juice.
    I also have our spreaders built with the front raised approx 4" inches to allow better gravity feed,they are on a flat bed style truck; this allows for consistent spread, especially with wet sand. I'm not sure if the manufacturer has used my info to perhaps reevaluate the mold or add another vibrator to the front portion of spreader.
    The spreader works remarkably well with dry treated sand and the obvious "salt" , hence the name.
    The electric motors are expensive to replace...but if you know of a good rebuilder.. approx. $900.00 list; our units are going on two years and so far so good.
    Hope this helps you out...good luck!

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If I leave now, you can buy me breakfast.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

WTF:eek: that is a absurd price:nod: I have them in stock, OEM parts motor and transmission assembles for half that money, less then an hour labor to swap them out, so the labor cann't jack it up that high.

10. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Bsher,

I'm not indicating thats what anyone would pay, I certainly agree theres suppliers out there to do for much...much... less.
    I as well can have them replaced and/or rebuild by a local gut for about $400.00.
    believe it or not...a vast majority do not research or do any homework... including the newbees on this site for answers as we all have seen.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So you are suggesting to them

That's for a unit that has manufacturer's suggested list price of;
    auger motor/trans $382.00,
    spinner motor/trans $365.00
    That is for a brand new motor/transmission sealed assembly.

Obviously you are one of the ones that does not do his research or homework

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Scotty, got that popcorn cart someplace?

I think we need it.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going to stomp my feet up and down!:redbounce:

My thread has been derailed! <------Like that? Didn't use the H word....

What a minute, is this what it feels like?

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:p

:laughing:

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why don't you and kickin a' or whatever his stupid name is go pout in the corner. :laughing:

16. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Basher,

I enjoy your replies, however...I seem to think I do my homework :D

17. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

Salt Doggy

Has any body used a poly electric 2 yd with wet or dry bulk salt, white or brown salt??? PLEASE people tell me about this great IDEA, does it really work???