1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt dogg controller stays on?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Dstosh, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Employee called me this morning saying that the controller was all lit up and it wasnt throwing any salt. The lights on the controller stay on when the switch is on or off and either way the thing doesnt work.

I recently replaced the auger motor with the new updated one. and It worked fine for one event. I pulled the cover off and tested the auger motor and it does work.

I pulled the controller cover off and didnt find any lose wires.

The attached picture is what it looks like when the switch is on or off.

The only way to make the lights go off is to disconnect it from the 2 prong anderson style connector.

2011-01-22 11.54.45.jpg
  2. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Could be possible the controller is fried both the old and new ones have problems buyers really needs to do something about them. Mine fried at the begining of this week give it a smell you should be able to smell it thats what my dealer told me to do when he took it off he had 4 other ones sitting there for warranty claim
  3. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I had the same problem with my brand new sphe2000 plus the spinner motor wouldn't work. I just called the salesman I bought it from and saltdogg sent me a new digital controller and a motor/transmission right away. These are well known to be bad controllers. I have had the same controller in my other truck for my sphe1500 and it has worked great for 3 years now. I know saltdog has codes for on their website for the digital controllers but I do not know if they have anything for the manual dial controllers.
  4. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Anyone wired these up to just toggle switches?
  5. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

No Sh?T... my one month old, just warrantied digital controller crapped out. This is the 3rd one. come on salt dogg!!!!!!!!
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  6. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Well Im looking for a replacement. What p/n should I get. 3006620 again? Or is there a revised or updated controller? I dont really want to get one of the black digital ones
  7. fci

fci Senior Member

Same thing is going on with one of my controllers. I would not buy a digital one, Burned one up on the first time we used it and Angelos sent me the knob style as a replacement. I am going to use this controller as long as I can. It would be nice if you could buy replacement parts other than the whole thing. We have been disconnecting the large power plug to the controller when its parked for a long time.
  8. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I stopped by the local snow dogg place and they said I could get a black digital one for 499. It comes with a 1 year warranty. Might roll the dice with that.

BIGHUNTER2 Junior Member

As you could see in this "POST" http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=99366 (which is not related to this problem). But. That BUYERS are looking after there costumers.

Give them some time, and I'm sure they will look after this problem also. I know it is upsetting, but hopefully they will solve the problem soon.
  10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

We picked up their 2yrd salter. Looks a bit different from the picture in this thread. The unit worked fine at first. Then it would randomly act like it was power cycled and ran through it's burst mode. Sometimes is showed zero for both auger and spinner yet the auger was running.

Soooooooo, I opened up the unit and WOW. Is this thing over complicated. You need two motor controls and this thing is built like a min-computer inside. Bottom line.... There were several cold solders on the transistors which are screwed into the box itself. On top of that there is a rounded bulb of plastic in between the two rotary knobs inside the unit. This bulb does nothing but pushes the board and causes a break in those circuits.

I cleaned up the solders, took out the bulb in the plastic and the unit seems to be working fine again.

Once again this was designed over complicated - multi level pc boards. poor choice of electronics.

Otherwise, the unit was worth the money.