1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt dogg controller repair

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by pvtben121, Nov 22, 2014.

1. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

I live in Columbus OH, i own 6 salt dogg salt spreaders and have had 2 conrollers go on the fritz. my Dad sent them somewhere to get new rocker switches. but he passed away in April just wondering if anyone knew a good electrical shop to send them to? I am tired of spending $600 bucks

2. mkbl2

mkbl2 Junior Member

You can get new rocker switches from Angelos Supplies, but you would have to install them yourself. If that is the only issue. There are also fuses in some of the boxes that you can check and replace.

3. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

Buy a Karrier Controller for a lot less and they don't go bad. The Salt Dogg controllers are JUNK !!!

4. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

Thank you MKBL2 i have bought all. 6 salt spreader from angelos. Unfortunately it is always spinner issues.
    Snowguy. Got. A karrier link

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I called the beginning of the week, they're over 600 units behind right now.

To the OP...www.karrierco.com or 330 823 9597

The original analog rotary knob Salt Dogg controllers were their Omega 2070's. That's all we run, we sell our digitals as we buy new boxes and run the Omega's in their place.

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Swenson uses omegas too. Maybe try a Swenson dealer.

7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah it sucks, theyre a good company but the demand for replacements for the chinese controllers that 100% fail eventually is so great they can't keep up. We got omega harnesses last year for our salt doggs, $400 each almost but 900x better quality than the junk that came on the bulk salt dogg spreaders.

8. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

I hope this isn't a stupid question but how do you know when the controller is bad. The controller just stops working. The reason im asking is I have three Saltdogg 3yd spreaders and last year the spreaders would work and then all of the sudden the auger would stop and say jam. I would shut it off and have to keep turning it on/off.

9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah most dont totally die, you may lose mainly the auger, then spinner, or both, some jump #s around like the dial is bad, some the vibrator won't run, others just readout errors, don't have enough power to start, or think its jammed when on lower speeds than full blast, a wide range of problems. We have 5 spare controllers now for all of ours, have to fix most of them, but replaced some with the karrier type which seems to work flawlessly, as long as the spreader motors are still in good condition, which they're usually not so that burns up the factory controllers.

10. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

There is a guy on ebay that has repaired three different salt dogg controllers for us. Fast turn around and a good price. His user name is monitor_repairs_1. he also repairs western/fisher v plow controllers. He can help you.