1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg Control Boxes are garbage

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Scottscape, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I have 3 shpe 2000's. and 4 control boxes. All control boxes are junk. the first 3 went junk just right after 1 year of purchase of all 3 brand new spreaders. I called buyers about this and just got the cold shoulder. I bought a brand new control box last march from buckeye truck here in columbus and used it 1 event not even an hour and put it away at the end of season.. plugged it in the other day and it continues to blows fuses just like all 3 of the others. no power to spinner on all 3. the last box isn't even 9 months old

at 700.00 a box this is ridiculous. I had issues with snow ex control boxes in the past but went to buyers attempting to get around these issues

Karrier and Co. makes an aftermarket box which I may be going that route or you just might find all 3 of the spreaders on cl or ebay.

Just and FYI for all you guys who are planning to buy a new salt dogg.

2. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

digital face controller or analog? if digital i had some issues, went to karrier and everything works great. karrier boxes work.

3. SnoDaddy

SnoDaddy Senior Member
    from ohio

agreed, go karrier

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

My original digital lasted about 1/2 it's very first outing. Gave me a big old F1 on the screen at 3AM and Buyers conveniently left the codes out of the operator's manual.Draw your own conclusions as to their meaning.Stupid engineering having fuses inside a box when in line fuses are so much easier to access.Anyway,I demanded and got a white faced analog controller 3-4 years ago which has been problem free.If/when it goes,I too will go Karrier.Will never get another Buyers product--GARBAGE!

5. jryan

jryan Junior Member
    from Ohio

Let me know if you decide to sell one of them!

6. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

They are digital display control boxes. I'll never buy another buyers product again. I'm looking at the boss spreaders with conveyor.

The actual spreaders are great but the control boxes are a joke. Buyers is making money off a known notorious product failure.. whats that tell you?

Most unethical companies work this way for awhile but eventually it catches up with them...

7. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I fear this is the problem I'm having. I haven't even put any salt through it yet. It worked when we hooked it up, now it turns on and the power button blinks red. The vibrator works and the spinner and auger dont. The lights on the speeds light up but nothing out of the spinner or auger. This spreader worked when it was hooked up, tested it again on Friday and today we are supposed to get some ice/snow tonight and the thing is not working.
    Very frustrating

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Most likely it's your connectors at the 2 rear plugs.ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!!!I had problems immediately when mine was new and was outraged when I took those connectors apart.Threw them out and got a huge 120V HD 4 wire plug for the vibrator and auger circuit and an aftermarket HD automotive 2 wire plug[sorry,can't remember the name] from Ebay with nice dust covers when not in use.Problem solved.

9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Thats how i feel. We have four of their bulk spreaders too, 1500, two 2000s and a 4000. The 4000 is a beast compared to the other two but 2x the cost too.

We're eating controllers left and right now. Buyers is tough to work with for any warranty issues "with us its only controllers anyway".

We just got a 2 yard boss vbx8000.. its awesome, of course its new, but for about $1500 more than the buyers ones, its flat out better in almost all aspects, but if its reliable, and won't blow BS controllers and their support is good, then i could care less if buyers had $500 bulk spreaders. How much is it worth to you in your first storm ?

Our units were purchased Dec 2009, the rest April 2010.. so none are 4yrs old yet :(, stored inside even.

Your dealer is key to helping you out with this issue.. but we too had to pay at another dealer in NJ, almost $800 in winter 2010 for a replacement controller for our shpe4000.. yeah, 2nd storm out with the new spreader and throwing various codes.

10. syzer

syzer Member

We have 2, I have gone through 3 controllers. After last nights storm my guys tell me its not working correctly. The driver has to actually "push" the spinner knob in to get it to work. I thought that was impossible.

I pull it into the shop turn the spinner on. It goes balls to the wall for about 10 second and the number goes to 0 and the spinner stops. Sure enough, I push it in kind of hard and there it goes jumps up to 9. I took it apart to see if the pot was loose, but its all good. Guess I won't bother buying another one or contacting the manufacturer.

We need a 6 yard electric unit. Who do you guys prefer?

11. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Nothing but issues with my 2250- this one was supposed to be the "upgrade" to the 2000. Never again, these spreaders may save you a few bucks when you buy them but they're no bargain.

12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

What kinda issues? I think the world of my 2250 and would buy another in a heartbeat

13. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

new controller, auger issue(not sure what-they just fixed it)wouldn't work though, doesn't feed well, spreads ridiculously heavy on the driver side, jams all the time, had another issue where it was saying overload with nothing in it- cleaned connections(which weren't dirty at all and had dielectric grease on them)and it worked. We have salted by hand twice this year already on a brand new spreader.(no fault of our own)It's just really finicky-not the kind of word I want to describe for any snow equipment. I should have bit the bullet and bought a fisher polycaster. I bought this spreader in November-not even 2 months old. I really don't trust it at all. Every time it goes out I pray it finishes the route.

14. Triple L

from Canada

Wow, I put 4 yards in my 2250 all the time, 2' extentions, never tarped a single load, leave it sitting outside for days, flip the switch and away it goes, I think the spread pattern is the most even I've ever seen, I took all the baffles and everything off it just drops straight onto the spinner... sad to hear about your luck

15. syzer

syzer Member

Wow, count your blessings! though when ours work they work pretty good other than the narrow spread, if we leave untapped salt in the hopper for more than a few hours the whole thing is a rock and takes hours to clear.

Last storm one of the guys took the grid off the top and loaded. Again, problems for that whole load cause any area of salt sticking together bridged the opening to the auger and it was starving it of salt.

Not a bad spreader for the most part, oh also went through two spinner motors. Understand I am in MD. These spreaders see very little use. The controllers are not good though.

I think I am going to buy a few Boss vbx8000's. Problem is I need a 6 yard also.

16. Triple L

from Canada

2 spinner motors!!!! I put about 125 ton a year thru myn... Touch wood, I think the analog controller is awesome!!! I don't think anyone makes a good 6 yard electric, id look at smith spreaders tho...

17. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Best on I found yet.

Mike

18. syzer

syzer Member

Yeah, thats what I said. They didn't stop working, but they would barely spin with no power.

I was looking at the 6 yard salt dogg and the snow-ex. I am a bit hesitant on the salt dogg, though I hear their larger units are are much better built (haven't seen to verify) and I really don't care for Snow-ex. Might just have to stick with the 2 yard for now.

We put about 80 - 100 tons through the two of ours on a regular winter.

19. sns250

sns250 Member

I am having a problem with a 1500 as well. I am running the 1500 in a truck and a 2000 in a different truck. I have had no issues with the 2000(knock on wood) but the 1500 always goes in to "overload" on the auger.

My typical use is to turn the controller on at the beginning of the night and leave it on. I then just turn the spinner and auger knobs to 0 to turn it off between jobs. This works great on the 2000 but when I turn the auger up on the 1500 half the time it goes into overload mode where it reverses and then spins up to 9 for 2 seconds and all is well. Is this a controller issue or an auger issue. If I get a karrier controller for the 1500 will the new controller solve this problem?

20. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Maybe I just got a lemon, not sure. I will say the last few times(knocking on wood here) it's been ok. We never pre-load either and salt pile is covered. I have the uneven spread down pretty well. I know where I have to be in the lot to cover everything so that's ok but still annoying. My baffles will have the driver side buried to where it's so stuffed you have to clean it with a screwdriver and the passenger side is completely clean but more than that you just have to watch it come out it barely goes past the passenger wheels and it's like 15 feet the other way. It still jams periodically but it's fairly easy to clear with the chute coming off so easy. It would be nice if the auger had a reverse or clear type button on it. I'm sure it would be easy to do but I don't understand why that auger wont pulverize a few clumps. I get that they don't wanna break anything but it's what- 5 or 6 inch? I don't see it breaking easy.
    Bottom line- I like a lot of the features and the ideas but I can't say I like the spreader-at all. One thing I love is that nothing ever gets in the truck. That is good. With the enclosed tub and the way it shoots behind the truck it keeps the bed and underneath clean which is awesome.