1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg, anyone remove splitter?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cmo18, Nov 27, 2011.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

First storm went okay, had some clogging issues. I'm running 50/50 salt/sand.

One huge problem I believe was when the spreader was loaded some larger stone was scraped up and loaded into the spreader.

Has anyone removed the v splitter in the box? Would it help the flow of material? Or should I just open the baffles?

2011-11-27_09-48-21_295.jpg

2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Yes, try opening the baffles. I don't know what you have them set at but I know they come from the factory closed way too much.

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You also may want to put a screen on the hopper to keep the big chunks out too.

4. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

Always removed the splitter here

5. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

how far do you open your baffles (inches wide), i always ran bagged until this year and was wondering how many inches wide they should be open for the spreader to not be clogged and spread well

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I shut the front one and opened the rear one all the way. I'm running 50/50 mix and had issues last storm.

Is there a point to the splitter?

7. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

I just bought a poly Salt Dogg HPE2000 (looks like you might have a stainless?) and it didn't have a splitter in there.

8. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

No mine is poly

9. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

We just picked up a SHPE2000 as well and there was no splitter, I don't see a use for it. We spread only treated salt and my dealer set both openings at half.

10. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Did you buy the unit new with inverted v ? Never seen one new like this.

11. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Didnt buy it new but I was told from the previous owner it came like that. Dealer said it was to keep material from freezing up in the auger.

Not sure if I should leave it or remove it

12. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

They arent in the new ones . I would remove it and try the baffles settings , spread, adjust baffles , Half baffles seem to work well for me, spreading 100 salt. Yes, dont let big chunks in the auger it will cause problems. They come with a topscreen for this reason . If didn't come with one, make one up. Theres pics of them on here. Well worth the time and energy to build one.

13. PALSLANDSCAPING

PALSLANDSCAPING Member

I bought two new 3 yders last year and both of them had them in it.