1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg 2yd. Baffle settings

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by plowtime1, Nov 19, 2008.

1. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Does anyone know what the baffles should be set if your spreading
    50 sand/50 salt treated, 60/40, etc. The factory sets the baffles for dry bagged salt; I'm sure spreading other mix ratios will cause some problems. I'm hoping someone will have this info or pm me please.
    I'v also pm'd mr. mooreman from salt dogg,(the engineering guy) nothing from him yet though; talk about backing your product :sleeping: In addition, would anyone know which settings would be best for moderate spread; I do realize as with anything it takes practice as our former fishers and western did. Any help is greatly appreciated. :drinkup:
  2. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

I run bulk straight salt and I opened mine up about half way. I first opened them up all the way and it was letting to much salt in and overloading the auger. So I would try half to 2/3 open and go from there.
  3. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Thanks for the response Green Acre,
    Sounds good, My truck is stored in doors well as sand and salt; i plan on having them mixed, I dont want to have my driver calling me saying its clogged. Do you think I would have any issues running 50/50 at these settings. What do you find the best settings for the controller for a moderate/normal application.
    Thanks again, We're constructing three boxes this afternoon for the spreaders, hope we didn't make the mistake of purchasing these units, but I have heard from other contractors in my area and researched this forum; came up with positive feedback.
    Thank you for your help, i look forward to your reply well as others.
  4. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Plowtime - this is straight from our spreader designer (Phil).
    "There are no exact measurements for different materials. But there is a basic rule for heavier materials. For heavier material: reduce opening in the middle of hopper down to 1” and open rear one to about 3’. If necessary middle opening can be closed completely (granite customer). Common controller setting is 5-7 auger, 7-10 spinner. "

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner :cry:, but this is probably why you'll see some of our competitors on here only a few times a year. I don't have a lot of free time to cruise forums.

Scott Moorman
    Director of Engineering
    Buyers Products / SnowDogg Plows
  5. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

A Big Thanks

Thank you smooreman-

We greatly appreciate your feedback purplebou