1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg 2250 v Snowex 8500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CTerrySGD, Feb 19, 2015.

1. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

Has anyone used both? There is about a $1500-2000 difference between the SaltDogg and the Snowex. Are you wasting your money or is the Snowex really that much better? Control box issues with the 2250?

I have been using a Gas Henderson Vbox for years now and she's tired and in need of replacement. We have another Salt Dogg 2000 that we use in a pickup and I've been pretty happy with it, but I'd rather have something with an inverted V and full open auger. Seems to make more sense to me. The 2000 gets a little finicky is the salt isn't dry etc. My gas vbox has only jammed once in 12 years and it was because I left it with salt in it and forgot to empty after a long night. She eats up and spits out everything I put in it.

I don't want to save $1500 right now and be mad at 4AM in the dark that I didn't but the SnowEx.....

Thoughts? I was also considering the SD 3000. Is that any more robust then the 2250 or does it just simply have a larger hopper?

Thanks a bunch! I appreciate all the feedback in advance!

Chris

2. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

Looked at the 3000 and 4000 today.... I think I might get the 3000 instead of the 4000.

Anyone have a 3000??? How do they work?

Thanks!

3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I can only speak of snow ex
    I have a 8500 for 6 years never any issues only down fall is steel frame but I have been painting them now with a paint in bed liner and no issues and I have 6 of them
    After 6 years I will be replacing the motor on it but that's all
    I did have a bad load of salt this year a lot of chunks and one of my other spreaders kept jamming and the 8500s were all fine
    I think it's worth the money
    I stood away from salt doggs only because the early one had issues but that was years ago
    Snow ex are very simple to work on and get parts for also
    Just me look for a used one in off season they like $2200 -$2500 and not much to go wrong with them

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I've had both and I highly recommend the 2250 over snowex in every way... I have nothing good to say about snowex...

5. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

I have had the complete opposite experience. Hated my Salt Dogg, Love both my 8500 Snowex's. They are very well built and just work! Never going back to anything other then the 8500's.

6. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

3 SnowEx 8500s for 5-6 years now. Love them. Relatively no problems to speak of. We keep spare vibrator and I think a spare motor just in case at the shop. A fellow PS member who works with me has changed out part/s in the middle of an event without complaining. They also stack pretty easy in the offseason. Looking forward to red colorway soon! God luck.

7. Triple L

from Canada

You ran 2250 salt doggs or 2000 saltdoggs? There's a huge difference between the two

8. zchip1979

zchip1979 Junior Member

The salt dogg 2250 is so much better than the salt dogg 2000, I have all salt dogs, 2 2000, 1 1500, and a 2250. I am only going to buy the 2250 from now on. They beefed up everything on the 2250. I ran snow ex in the past, burned through vibrators, control box swithches and had a lot of salt freeze in them.
    just my input, thanks

9. Triple L

from Canada

I'll second that... also, nothing worse then having a salter 3 years old and look like a rotted out piece.... cant go wrong with an all poly/stainless saltdogg... DO NOT buy anything smaller then the 2250 or you will be like everyone else saying they suck... Another thing to mention about snow ex is nothing sucks more then having to turn the controller on, run to the back of the truck and unplug the spinner to dump some salt to fill up salt buckets... then you forget to plug it back in and the next property is beep beep beep... Saltdogg you can turn the spinner to 0 and let the auger run leaving a nice pile to fill your buckets up... boss salter also does that as well

10. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

I had a 2000 and it sucked. Sounds like the 2250 is fare superior and I can't comment on that. Sorry.

Interesting perspective. I don't use salt in my spreaders and do not use my spreader material on walks, just lots. So for me that is not an issue. I wish I could do it that way, sounds really good to fill up a bucket with my spreader. HA, different parts of the country make for different work. Love this site.