1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SAlt dogg 2000

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by 86 CJ, Nov 2, 2011.

1. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I have an 87 F250, 8' bed with an 8' pro plow on the front. I was looking at buying a Salt Dogg 2 yd Poly Box and was wondering if the truck can handle it full of salt?

2. bskiball

bskiball Member

It would most likely be fine but if you add a set of timbrens it will take the sway out and you'll be good to go.

3. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

No.......you will be way over your limit.

4. bskiball

bskiball Member

Are we talking legal limit or will the truck handle it. Two different things. Plow on front 600-700 pounds, 500 pound spreader, F-250 payload 1500 pounds = total salt that can be legally put in spreader 300 to 400 pounds. Good luck making money like that.

5. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I am looking at what the truck will handle. I had a Salt Dogg TGS06 all winter and ran it full with around 800lbs in it on the tailgate and also had another yard of salt in the back of bed that I used through the night. I see a lot of old F250's running even the old steel hoppers , getting around. I could also look at the 1500 Salt dog to be on the safer side or add a helper spring.

6. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I think the 1500 is a better idea. I have a 2011 F250, and thats all I'm putting in it to keep it within limits.

7. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I like the idea of just having the 1500, but as the dealer around her told me the 2000 is 40lbs heavier and is $200 cheaper. They are having a pre-season sale on the 2K, they suggested some rear Timbrents or just don't fill it all the way up..

8. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I mean in that case, get it. Why even bother asking what others think. You seem to have your mind set.

But we all know....If we went to get loaded, and could use the extra 1/2 yard, we'd all be like,

"sure its only another 500 lbs, whats it gonna do"?

I'm not saying the truck can't handle it, because it's a Ford, it can. And I wouldn't be worried at the beginning of winter, or even mid winter. But at the end of winter, when the frost laws come out, and law enforcement are out hard with scales and such, it's a hefty ticket being overloaded...

But if you can get a deal on the 2k, I say go for it...as I'm sure the 2k will also have a better resale value down the road.

9. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

Sorry, not trying to be mean, but when I reread that, It sounded kinda mean.

10. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

No big deal man. I hear your two cents and take it into account. I talked to the local plow shop that have been putting 2000's on F250's all month. They said I would be ok, just watch my load. I just sold my old spreader and still have plenty of time to make a decision. Thanks

11. bskiball

bskiball Member

Make sure you have Load E tires. Forgot to mention that the other day.

12. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

got 4 brand new, Thanks

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I carried a SHPE2000 in a 3/4ton for a number of years. Timbrens are a must and watch your rear wheel seals, that much weight is hard on them. Buyers lists them as for 1 ton and heavier trucks.

14. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Thanks man

Although Buyers lists the 1500 and the 2000 for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with a GVWR of atleast 8500LBS. The dealers have been putting them on anything from F150's with Timbs to F350's, crazy. My F250 has a GVRW of 8600Lbs. I am pushing towards the 1500 to be on teh safe side, but can't find any local good prices.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I tried not to overload it:rolleyes:

I'd love to see a longer lower 1.5 yard unit you could see over.Thumbs Up

16. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I hear you. It's going to be different, not being able to see out the back. I ran the Salt Dogg TGS06 last year and loaded the bed of the truck up with another yard and was out all night for what I needed. It was nice being able to look out the back window.

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm thinking wireless back up camera mounted to the spreader. Pick up power and reverse signal in the trailer plug. I did it with wireles back up warning sensors on my last unit but I think I'm going camera with the new one I'm assembling.

18. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Sounds good, might look for a cheap setup myself

19. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I have the rear view camera in the tailgate of my f250....its awesome, but obviously lose it when I put a Vbox back there. The camera comes up on my rear view mirror...I'm going to have to do a little digging and see if I can mount one on the Vbox and hook it into the stock system...