1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg 2000 - Spreading issues

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by drakefinn1, Jan 9, 2011.

1. drakefinn1

drakefinn1 Junior Member
    from RI

This weekend was our first outing w the salt dog 2000, it ran well but 20 minutes into sanding we realized that the pattern was shooting 6-10 ft off the driver side and barely sprerading anything behind the truck or to the passenger side. Basically roadways that should take one pass took several seeing how we could only cover a very small area. I do have the extended chute model seeing how this is on a dump truck, not sure if that makes a difference. I saw another salt dogg in operation and his spreader wheel looked like it was angeled differently. Is there any way to adjust this? Any other ideas would be appriciated.

2. turfman59

turfman59 Member

Is it spinning in the right direction CCW or is it spinning CW just curious.

3. drakefinn1

drakefinn1 Junior Member
    from RI

It is spinning cw but the shaft looks off centered< but other salt doggs i have seen also look off centered. I am home now but in the dark this morning i couldnt see any visiable way to adjust anything. I also tried all sorts of auger-spinner speeds, did nothing

4. drakefinn1

drakefinn1 Junior Member
    from RI

do u think it was installed in the wrong direction??

5. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i had that problem too and realized I had the auger on to high of a setting. I usually run it at 1 or 2 (usually in the middle). This way the auger doesn't overload the spinner.

6. drakefinn1

drakefinn1 Junior Member
    from RI

So there is not away to adjust from the spinner itself? I was running it at 3 auger and 8 spinner, I tried 2-auger 9 spinner and it didn't make a difference (and every other combo)

7. highlander316

not sure what you mean by "So there is not away to adjust from the spinner itself?"

8. drakefinn1

drakefinn1 Junior Member
    from RI

I mean like physically adjusting the spinner from outside the sander.
    For instance a gas powered sander has baffles above the spinner. I was wondering if the salt dogg had any way to ajust salt flow from the auger to spinner from the spinner assembly.

9. highlander316

not that I know of. Off the top of my head, the salt comes from the auger to the spinner assembly. The assembly is a plastic chute that feeds to the spinner. I keep the spinner at 9 unless I'm in tight or narrow areas. Maybe you can try bending the deflectors behind the spinner? I know my Western1000 will out throw my SaltDogg but I think it's due to bagged vs bulk salt (this is my first year running bulk). I do think the spinner on the SaltDogg could spin a little faster for better spread.

10. drakefinn1

drakefinn1 Junior Member
    from RI

If u dont mind me asking what are ur baffels inside set at?

11. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

The same thing goes on with my 1500--now that it's spinning clockwise[it was going ccw from the factory when bought new Dec.2009],it does spread better but still favors the driver's side.The best spread I get is with the baffles open all the way,the auger at 6 and the spinner at 10--I will get app. 15' of a pattern with Magic salt.Not the best,certainly nowheres near what Buyers is bragging regarding 30' with dry salt.I too feel that spinner goes too slowly.When it dies I'm going to replace it with a good USA made Karrier unit to get rid of that Chinese POS.

12. drakefinn1

drakefinn1 Junior Member
    from RI

I also only use magic salt. Have u heard the people who switched to the karrier have a better spread?

13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

No,I haven't.I did a search too-nothing,but looking back at the old thread regarding controllers,wiring,motors,etc. started Dec. 2009,I see evidence that maybe Buyers did wire mine[and probably all others] to spin CCW,BUT--the actual spinner itself is really not the correct one regarding the direction of the cups.Buyers told a member here that spinner was the only one they could find to outfit their salter with. If that is indeed true,Buyers should be tarred and feathered!!!! :dizzy:

14. drakefinn1

drakefinn1 Junior Member
    from RI

That's a little disturbing. Oh well thanks for the info

15. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

From my experience, it sounds like you have build up in the chute. If you were sanding, it could have froze or built up inside which drastically changes the spread pattern. I dont sand, just salt, but last year I had some salt that was the consistency of sand and it built up in my chutes and made my spread terrible. Cleaned it up and back to normal. My spreaders do favor the drivers side more, which common.
    Since you said it was after 20 minutes, this makes me think this is your problem. Hope this may help!:waving:

16. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

I agree with Drottlawn, my 2000 spreads AWESOME, but, I only use treated bulk salt (treated with an anti-clumping agent). The one thing I do not like is the delay from the time you turn on the controller until the unit actually starts spreading salt.

17. Digger63

Digger63 Member

Enough Power

One factor to look at is how much electric is availible for the sander. If your're running at night after plowing your battery system may be low. An electric sander can only be as good as the the amount of voltage it receives. Also the material itself puts a strain on the system. The heavier and wetter the material, the harder it is for the sander to spin it out The dealer who sold it to you should be able to tell you about any adjustments and evaluate your truck ( altinater, battery and or batteries ) that will allow the sander to work it's best.

18. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

agreed i hate that to and I found out its normal says it right in the instructions...

19. turfman59

turfman59 Member

Anti caking is ferro cyanide and is usually treated at 75 parts per million, what is the most important part of salt is what is the moisture content in it at delivery. If the moisture content is over 1% or higher you not going to have and easy job of loading it or it going through the spreader in freezing temperatures...Just my experience with it...

20. JCSolutions

JCSolutions Junior Member

Salt Dogg 2000, Heavy out passenger side?

My 2000 came from the factory running CCW and throws heavy to the passenger side. Has anyone figure out how to adjust this yet. Usually run the the spreader on 8-9 and auger on 3-5 depending on my speed and size of lot.