1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg 2000 - New buyer Not Happy

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by drakefinn1, Jan 6, 2011.

1. drakefinn1

drakefinn1 Junior Member
    from RI

I just purchased a Buyers Salt Dogg SHPE2000x. I all ready have a stainless buyers unit and love it. This is my first auger driven unit and i cant see how this product can work. At my yard i dumped 1/2 yard clean dry salt into the hopper to get aquinted w/ the settings. I soon found out that w/o the vib on i could not empty salt for more than 10 seconds. I know that with a moving truck this might be different but it still seems like the vib will have to be on all the time. Am i missing something, or does this unit need to go back? (The baffels are almost open all the way front and back)
  2. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

Run the unit with vibrator on all the time, that is how we run ours.
  3. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

you will be fine with the vibrator on most of my lots take less then ten mins to salt and i run the vibrator the whole time
  4. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Thats why its there I think, We run ours all the time.
  5. drakefinn1

drakefinn1 Junior Member
    from RI

That sucks, from someone who has never dealt with the need for a vib. this is going to be a pain. Anyone want a cheap salt dogg?
  6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't understand. What's the big deal about clicking on and off a simple switch?
  7. drakefinn1

drakefinn1 Junior Member
    from RI

the whole no noise factor was one of the most alluring factors in buying an electric model. With the vib on it makes more noise then my gas powered units. I have several friends with the fisher electric model with the conveyer instead of the auger. They have no problems or need for the vib. Probably should have done more research.
  8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I don't see any problem with running the vib. That's what it is for.
  9. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

I have a new Salt Dogg 2000 and love it !!! Have ran about 32,000 lbs. through it so far. I only run the vibrator when I need to, but that is most of the time. Don't see the big deal. I am planning on buying my second SD 2000 in the next couple of weeks.
  10. I run the same unit in one of my trucks and have had no issue with it. These units are designed to have the vib on when in use thats why its installed there!
  11. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

:ave you tried moving or even removing the baffles? I have a 2000 and have had good luck with it so far.
  12. 1742

1742 Junior Member

I want a cheap Salt Dogg. I might be able to solve your problem for ya
  13. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

The vibrator really doesn't make that much noise when the spreader is full, it's when you're getting down to the last 500 or so pounds that the noise level increases (which is nice to know)

Well over 500 ton thru ours and we just replaced the auger motor, I can't even think of complaining.
  14. 1742

1742 Junior Member

Shh, I'm trying to get a deal here!payup
  15. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

i am on my fourth season with mine and i usually spread a 50/50 mix with no trouble at all. I do run the vibrator all the time, and took out the baffles. My vibrator is starting to go so i just ordered a new one.I found a company called karrier that sells a replacement one its the z200. It is cheaper and built better. If you decided you really don't like it i am in mass and would be interested. But i think you will get used to it, and love it. by the way i usually spread about ten to twelve yards per storm.
  16. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I also want a cheap Salt Dogg. When does the auction start?
  17. Yeah thats a good feature.....kinda like a low salt alarm lol. Ran a couple more tons through mine today with the driver reporting no issues!
  18. turfman59

turfman59 Member

I will give you $2500 for it right now