1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

salt Dogg 2 yard question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Whiffyspark, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We have a 2 yard salt Dogg. Thought the bearing was froze up so we ordered a new one. We decided to see if auger would turn without the bearing on, it didnt. Shouldn't be able to?

Spinner still works, though

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Auger motor locked up.

3. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Is there anyway to free it up or test it?

4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Pull it out and put power directly to it.

If you take cover plates off around it you can test it without removing it completely.

5. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Its a 2 yard I'm going to buy it off him for a thousand once we get it fixed

6. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Anyone tried cracking one open?

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The motor or the Gear box? If the gear box is locked up you need a motor and box assembly you can't buy just the box (depends where around $399) if it's just the motor siezed up than you can get just the motor (around $249.)

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Hes going to replace anything it needs do you think around a grand is fair?

I'm going to look at the motor tomorrow and see I haven't had time.

9. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I have the 1.5yrd Salt Dogg and a couple yrs ago i started it up and its summer slumber and it ran fine. Engaged the clutch and it stalled the engine. Turned out the clutch was froze from rust. with the engine off and clutch off you should be able to turn the spinner and drive chain by hand. If not chances are the clutch froze up. I got mine freed up with a pipe wrench and i drenched it with WD-40, been working ever since although i spray it every now and again to try and keep rust at bay.