1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg 1500 and 2000 Both Favor the Driver Side

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sns250, Dec 22, 2012.

1. sns250

sns250 Member

Hello All,

Here is the back story, last season we bought a Salt Dogg 2000 and ran approx. 15-20 tons through it due to the light winter. Everything seemed to work fine except it favored the driver side when spreading. I called Angelo's where I purchased it and they claimed it was made to spread to the driver side.

This season we added a 1500 in another truck and I was told it should not have the same problem of spreading to the driver side. I don't know why it doesn't surprise me, but it also favors the driver side after our first event yesterday and today.

It looks to us the problem is in the chute. When the salt comes down the chute to the spinner it appears that it falls to far back on the spinner causing it to come off the spinner quickly shooting it to the driver side. We have tried everything you can adjust on the deflector to try to fix the problem, but nothing helps.

Our next thought is to notch some of the poly out of the chute that comes down to the spinner so it fall more onto the center of the spinner around the shaft, but don't want to cut anything if I don't have to. We did a little "test" and slid a piece of cardboard down the back of the chute make this salt fall straight down instead of sliding off the chute and it seemed to fix the problem of the spread pattern.

Just looking for some thoughts/experiences.

2. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

mine throws 95% to the passenger side, i need to get it onto the driver side so i can see it better.

3. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

the more the material being dialed out by the auger (especially damp / wet salt ,sand which is heavy ) the more drivers side favor . I'v noticed that spreading DRY salt , it spreads evenly .

Try dialing up the spinner 100% and 50% the auger . Adjust deflector accordingly . Do you have the extended chute ?

I modded the hell out of mine . Flipped the choke baffles upside down (like Sno-Ex ) to get maximum flow , acts more as an anti-bridging ,instead of choking .

[​IMG]

4. sns250

sns250 Member

Both of the spreaders have the regular chutes.

As far as spinner and auger speed it doesn't seem to make a difference we have tried every variation you could think of. My issue isn't really doing the lots because you can just adjust where you drive to favor the spread pattern. The issue come into play when we do our private one lane roads because even if you move over on the road to the right you have to turn the spinner speed down to not loose the salt off the side and then you end up only salting the driver side to the middle of the truck.

We just dealt with it last season, but I would like to just get it solves cause we are loosing time and material because we have to salt in both directions.

I picture our old tailgate spreader that the salt fell directly in the middle around the shaft letting it come off the spinner evenly. The current set up puts the salt out to the rear of the shaft by and inch or two.

5. Spool it up

yep , most spreader set ups do favor the drivers side . Thats a fact . did you try reversing the wiring on spinner plug to a counter-clock wise spin . mine does the same , but im not to concerned about it , not an issue to us . You gotta be able to modd that chute drop liike you said previously . keep me posted . I'll take a gander at mine tomoro .

6. sns250

sns250 Member

Will do, I will hopefully mess with it when I get to the shop on Monday. I was hoping someone had done something similar.

7. sns250

sns250 Member

spool it up - let me know if you think my solution will work if you take a look at yours. What is happening when the salt falls into the shoot it goes straight down and then hits then angle on the bottom to push it to the spinner, i just feel it is a little to far. My thought is if I take a half inch or so off the angle it will shorten the distance it pushes the salt back to the spinner causing it to fall closer to the middle of the spinner.

Seems like an easy fix, but why wouldn't they do it from the beginning.

8. Spool it up

9. Spool it up

10. sns250

sns250 Member

Yeah, it seems like a lot of people have auger flow and jamming issues. We run the vib pretty much all the time when salting and don't have any flow issues really. My problems are just spread pattern.

11. Spool it up

i really think they were geared toward a dry material thats why they include a tarp , which i dont use . I like damp mix or salt , it works faster. I always use the vibrator when spreading also , if not , it cakes .

i ll check back tomoro

12. SnoDaddy

SnoDaddy Senior Member
    from ohio

I had to cut a piece of plywood about 8''x8'' and slide it under the passanger side so the auger would be somewhat straight bc mine would throw about 10 ft heavy as hell and sparse everywhere else. the wood helps a lot but it still seems to throw heavy for about a 10' pass but im getting 20 ft wide now instead of 12''. I really like saltdogg but they need to fix this issue.

13. Spool it up

and the box should be centered over the rear axle on an 8' bed , but then the chute wont reach the rear. they do make a 14'' spinner , wonder if that would differ the pattern and or fit existing format

14. sns250

sns250 Member

Snodaddy - Did you have the same problem of throwing heavy to the driver side, and did the plywood fix it? It sound like you put it under the spreader on the passenger side. Not sure that would fix my issue.

Spool it up - I could see the dryer materials. Our bulk is pretty dry other than just some residual moisture. Like I said I haven't really had to much of an issue with jamming or flow. My issues are really all just the spread pattern.

I might try to get a photo or something to show my idea on fixing it before I go cutting it to get some opinions on it. Even unloading the extra salt back into the pile you can plainly see it favors the driver side by 75% at least.

15. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

Guys, not sure if you can do it with yours but I just bought a Tgs07 and immediately noticed the spread pattern heavy to the drivers side as well. I made a deflector plate out of 1/4 lexan to adjust where the salt lands on the spinner, it's the same as I do when using my Zspray for spreading fertilizer during the year, it has a "comb" that can be adjusted as you go to adjust the pattern according to the prill size of the fert. and adjust where it lands on the spinner.Again, mine is a bit different but works awesome, and it drops to salt more to the passenger side of the pattern now. So I will remove it and copy the pattern on some stainless and be done. Good luck

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  16. sns250

sns250 Member

Here are a couple photos I took today to try to show what I am saying. It is hard to see because I am dumping the salt back onto the pile. Next time I may put down a tarp so you can get a better idea.

The first photo is from the side showing the salt falling to the rear of the spinner shaft so as it is spinning it is falling off before it can get all the way around to the passanger side. Looking at the photo also gave me another thought of moving the spinner up instead of cutting some of the plastic.

The second photo shows the spread pattern. You can see there is no salt to the passanger side coming off the spinner. The little bit that does make it over seems to be bouncing off the deflecter back onto the spinner and then over to the passanger side, but it is nowhere near even.

I would love to hear some thoughts that others have.

photo 2resize.jpg

photo 12resize.jpg

17. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

the salt looks to be falling slightly towards the front of the spinner. try taking a pice of rubber and closing the gap so if falls back and middle because the spinner spins clockwise looking at it from the back which makes the salt go drivers side
    maybe trying to make the salt fall straight down on the spinner?

18. Spool it up

sno , is that your mock up mod ? try completely removing the metal deflector . you dont need it with that mud flap there . see what that does . it may fling further instead of deflecting back to spinner therefore the material leaves the spinner faster .Call my number

19. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

The deflector has nothing to do with it. The salt needs to fall in front and a little to the right of the spinner shaft and not behind it. Try it :nod:

20. Spool it up

thats got to be a mod doing that . mine falls behind and doesent have that pocket shoot .he 's trying to get it even behind the truck which it's not obviously designed to do . were experimenting .