1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Salt Dogg 1.5

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Case 445, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Case 445

Case 445 Junior Member
    from Iowa

I just bought a salt dogg 1.5 and was testing it out with salt/ sand mix. I had to run the vibrator all the time to make the salt/sand come out. I open the back gate wide open and still had to run the vibrator. Need some advice Thanks

2. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I've heard in these models, with wet salt or a sand/salt mix you will need to keep the vibrator going. In the manual it says it can run for 30 minutes straight, so I wouldn't think to much of it. You could spray a little fluid film or Pam on the inside of the hopper to hopefully get it moving inside a little more

3. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

Try turning the auger speed up but the spinner speed must be greater than the auger speed

4. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Stuffdeer, I was wondering about fluid film in the hopper, have you done this. I wasn't sure if it would goop things up and be to hard to clean out sticky sand?

5. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I've never used fluid film in the hopper yet, but have used WD-40 in other salters....I will be coating this one in Fluid Film this week...as long as you don't spray it, then immediately dump salt in it.

6. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

I run the shaker everytime I have the salter turned on. My snowex's I would leave the vibrator switch on and use the main power switch would turn the augers and vibrators on and off.
    Sold the snow exs this year and bought 2 buyers 1.5 and a 2yrd going to run the shakers non stop.

My opinion is that it wont hurt anything to use them all the time.